2002 chevy silverado 2500hd 6.0 truck randomly dies no rough idle, no lights, no error codes. Truck won't start up right after it dies but if I let it sit it will start up fine anyone else have similar issues or have any ideas and what it could be?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome thanks guys I think I'll just replace it tomorrow and see if that takes care of the problem

I would check power before going through changing it. Because if you do than you get the famous flashing light than do crank learn and still dies your gonna be extra mad. And also if you replace it be careful because the seize up in the block. Twist it free first and gently pry her out. Do you know where it's located? It should be behind the starter. Starter has to be unbolted not removed just unbolted and moved out of way.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I would check power before going through changing it. Because if you do than you get the famous flashing light than do crank learn and still dies your gonna be extra mad. And also if you replace it be careful because the seize up in the block. Twist it free first and gently pry her out. Do you know where it's located? It should be behind the starter. Starter has to be unbolted not removed just unbolted and moved out of way.

My knowledge on engines is very limited I was going to have my buddy at a shop help me and as far as testing it never happens when I have the appropriate tools around and by the time we get them it starts again

Sent from my E5803 using Tapatalk

May or may not need to do a crank shaft variation relearn.

What does this entail?

What does this entail?

NVM I found a pdf from napa online

This is something any mechanical inclined person can do. Pull the start it's two bolts either 13mm or 15mm I can't remember than it's one 10 holding the crank sensor twist, pop. Grease new one around O ring and pop it back in bolt down plug in reinstall start. Reconnect battery. If someone taking there time. 20 minutes Tops I can do them in about 5-10.

You don't need to re-learn it. On my 01 I replaced it and did not do a re-learn. I put it in over a year ago and it hasn't given any trouble.

The re-learn is only so the computer can give you the correct code if the engine misfires for any reason down the road.

To re-learn, you need to select re-learn procedure with an OBD diagnostic tool, jack it up, put it in Drive, and floor it till it hits the rev limiter. I really did not want to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't need to re-learn it. On my 01 I replaced it and did not do a re-learn. I put it in over a year ago and it hasn't given any trouble.

The re-learn is only so the computer can give you the correct code if the engine misfires for any reason down the road.

To re-learn, you need to select re-learn procedure with an OBD diagnostic tool, jack it up, put it in Drive, and floor it till it hits the rev limiter. I really did not want to do that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some do some don't it's super silly... my 02 didn't my buddies 04 did.

Some do some don't it's super silly... my 02 didn't my buddies 04 did.

Thanks everyone this has been going on for about a month I'm very anxious to see if this corrects the problem

Archived