03 2500 HD starting

Sometimes when I go to start my truck I will get a crank noise like you hear if you turn the key if a vehicle is already started. I don't think I'm double cranking the key but just curious if this has happened to anyone else and what it might be. I start it and then briefly here the noise. Unless I'm holding the key turned too long and it's started already. I don't know!

It does sound like a bad starter...the bendix which flies in and out to engage the flywheel fits over a shaft and can get a little cruddy, which will delay the movement of the bendix from flying quick enough back into position to keep from grinding the flywheel.

If you pull your starter out you my be able to clean it up enough with some break cleaner...hold it with the bendix gear down and spray the bee-geebers out of it and let it dry...If not mistaken there is a planetary gear just behind the bendix ( you wont see it unless you take the starter apart) and has a good bit of grease in there try not to get too much break cleaner in there ( it needs the grease) or on the stator...once the break cleaner evaporates, lightly oil the bendix tube and the shaft it rides on.

Then put it back in and try it...if it still is sticking you have three options:

1. Take the starter apart for a more comprehensive cleaning...especially around the bendix parts

2. buy a rebuild kit online and ( which will come with another bendix and other parts) rebuild it yourself for about 40 dollars

3. go buy another one for 150 dollars or so.

It seems, the starter is doin what it is suppose to be doing electrically but the bendix ( that gear portion which engages the flywheel) is giving you the trouble

Archived