avalanche racing me

ewiski

So i was trying to pass this guy driving a chevy avalanche on a freeway and he decided to speed up. obviously annoyed someone would pass him in the left lane. It was one of those old 2003 ish ones. I had a 2000 sierra and it would go pretty good. This guy couldnt even keep up once i put the gas to the floor in my 2014 silverado. I just thought it was pretty funny. i guess he didnt know their wasnt much respect for the avalanche.

Had three Avalanches '07, '12 and '13......had the same 5.3l engine as my '16 Silverado and identical rear ends even equivalent weight range. Only real difference between the vehicles is the Avy's had coil rear springs, a welded cab/bed setup with no vibration problems, smoother ride and more responsive steering. Unless the '14 has DI like the '16+ the same hp ratings on the 5.3s. In fact the pre '07 Avy's had a better full time V8 instead of that V4/8 AFM crap. And lb. for .lb the Silvy's are a cheaper vehicle. Would have bought another if they made a '16 Avalanche in the US or Canada. Neither one of these trucks is "fast", a helluva lot slower than the 3.6V6 in my Impala or 2.0T in the Malibu....about on par with the 3.6V6 in the lead sled Traverse....not too funny, sounds like a race between two turtles.

Oh yea comparing a car that weighs half of what a truck weighs is fair. Lol

Yes the my truck has the direct injection 5.3 with 3.42 rear end.

My motor cycle only makes 120 hp but weighs 500 pounds i guess ur saying that would make a fair race too? Never seen a factory silverado do 160mph.

Just thought it was funny after getting out ran 3 times in a row he would keep trying.

They 14+ 5.3 has almost nothing in common with the older 5.3's. Both V8s, both 5.3 displacement, and that's about it.

Quite a bit more power in the newer engines.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Had three Avalanches '07, '12 and '13......had the same 5.3l engine as my '16 Silverado and identical rear ends even equivalent weight range. Only real difference between the vehicles is the Avy's had coil rear springs, a welded cab/bed setup with no vibration problems, smoother ride and more responsive steering. Unless the '14 has DI like the '16+ the same hp ratings on the 5.3s. In fact the pre '07 Avy's had a better full time V8 instead of that V4/8 AFM crap. And lb. for .lb the Silvy's are a cheaper vehicle. Would have bought another if they made a '16 Avalanche in the US or Canada. Neither one of these trucks is "fast", a helluva lot slower than the 3.6V6 in my Impala or 2.0T in the Malibu....about on par with the 3.6V6 in the lead sled Traverse....not too funny, sounds like a race between two turtles.

My neighbor has a 2.0 turbo Malibu and a friend has a Impala.. Neither of which can hang with my 6.2 Silverado.

I see no reason to call racing two trucks a race of turtles. Some trucks are down right quick. I see no reason for racing front wheel drive cars but I'm not gonna rag on those who do.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Like I said a turtle race, and the so old, lame turtle lost.

Oh yea comparing a car that weighs half of what a truck weighs is fair. Lol

Yes the my truck has the direct injection 5.3 with 3.42 rear end.

My motor cycle only makes 120 hp but weighs 500 pounds i guess ur saying that would make a fair race too? Never seen a factory silverado do 160mph.

Just thought it was funny after getting out ran 3 times in a row he would keep trying.

Obviously you never owned or crawled under an Avy. First of all it is a truck not a car and has a solid frame not a unit body just like a Silvy/GMC. And having paid registration fees on these vehicles I can tell you that the 2nd gen Avys weighs significantly more than a 14+ Silvy....all steel not some of the later Al and composite panels in the Silvy and the 1st gen '02-'06 Avys weighed even more with no "hollow" truck bed, but heavy supports hidden in the"sails" welding the cab to the bed, heavier more complex rear coil suspension, a larger tailgate and 150+lb midgate. So at best it was a race between a light turtle and an old heavy turtle.

Learned early on that unregulated street racing is not the sport of geniuses. Back in '60s-'70s Brooklyn impromptu racing with some unknown jacka$$ frequently ended at the next stop light with the winner getting his car banged up for spite, or a bullet through the window. My 454 '74 Impala Custom attracted every A-hole in the borough driving some beat up POS Mustang, Camaro or Goat trying to race me off stop lights until I wised up and replaced the 454 fender emblems with 327s.

More like two bears racing or two buffalo. The trucks these days are fast. I have owned mustangs and corvettes and driven some old Porsches. They were fast, doesn't mean a good pickup isn't.

Also I am not a fan of the avalanche. Although I did see a 900 horsepower one for sale recently in my area. Still not for me.

2014 Silverado Z71

My neighbor has a 2.0 turbo Malibu and a friend has a Impala.. Neither of which can hang with my 6.2 Silverado.

I see no reason to call racing two trucks a race of turtles. Some trucks are down right quick. I see no reason for racing front wheel drive cars but I'm not gonna rag on those who do.

Quick is only relative...it's all gearing and hp to weight ratio. If I drop a 427 in my Impala I'd be in the next County before you hit 6th. I'll stop referring to them turtles when they begin racing trucks at the Indy.

Quick is only relative...it's all gearing and hp to weight ratio. If I drop a 427 in my Impala I'd be in the next County before you hit 6th. I'll stop referring to them turtles when they begin racing trucks at the Indy.

For some like myself a truck will be the only thing I will drive sure to using it for work and towing. If I buy a car it will only be a sports car for playing. (Rear wheel drive of course). So I like to try and make my truck as quick as possible ( within reason) handle nicely, etc. There's no challenge in getting . Let's say a Camaro into a 12 sec 1/4 mile however get a daily driver 3 ton truck there and your doing something right. To each his own.

Crack up, it all relative to time and personal taste. I can remember when an SS could be buckets a floor shift and stripes. Same with a GT or 442. And come with a wimp for an engine. In 1979 the quickest US product vehicle was a little red express truck. Only single minded person would call today's trucks turtles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Avalanche is a slightly heavier suburban that weighs 500lb more than a same year Silverado, and wont stand a chance vs. the newer, more powerful DI engines. BUT, the ride is much better, and the old non DI 5.3 easily does 250-300k. I was debating getting a camaro or challenger for a "fun" car, but Im a truck guy, so I checked out the new trucks. Just cant bring myself to give up the avy for one, and have decided to just put a maggie in my avy (and maybe a stroke) - bout same cost as the high desert package alone on a new silvy and it will still fit in my garage...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I like the new 5.3

I like my 96 vortec even more. Gets left alone.

I have played with peoples limiters... gone by at 121, and decided to pop a good gnarly 5th.

A real road range case.. not mine.

I don't underestimate any of the trucks.. there is even turbo kits for less than a grand.

I think they are all destined for greatness... old new, it don't matter. :)

Archived