My 2017 3.6L Colorado Thread

Something I have noticed with this truck, that I never experienced before, is that sometimes when driving that the alternator voltage will be at 14v then sometimes 13.8v then sometimes 13.1v and I have even seen it at 12.5v, but not on the same drive times. These numbers appear in different driving cycles.

I am wondering if the trucks have some kind of battery sensor thay knows when they need higher and lower voltage to maximize the batteries life.

On my previous vehicles 13.5v to 14.2v was what the norm was to ensure the alternator was properly working.

I am pretty sure that this being a new truck, that this is suppose to happen.

Anybody else see this with their trucks?

Thanks - Preston

Edited by silverbullet3.6

Well, I did a little research. Looks like the truck has electrical power management. That's pretty cool

Yep its a new feature on GM trucks since at least 2014 (that I know of). I had a 2014 GMC Sierra before this Colorado, and the voltage meter would up and down a lot. But its 100% normal. When you don't need the charge, the alternator "disconnects" to give less drag on the motor, netting better gas mileage.

• Like 1

Yep its a new feature on GM trucks since at least 2014 (that I know of). I had a 2014 GMC Sierra before this Colorado, and the voltage meter would up and down a lot. But its 100% normal. When you don't need the charge, the alternator "disconnects" to give less drag on the motor, netting better gas mileage.

My understanding is that Chevy is the first or one of the first to do this with the alternators. Awesome stuff, but I hope the alternator lasts A LONG TIME. :fingersx: I am sure it won't be cheap to replace, as I am sure it will have to be replaced with a specific alternator.

---------------------------------------

On another note, I hooked up my BAFX adapter, and Torque Pro to the truck. Found more PID's to monitor if I so choose. Some that really interested me was: Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, and Fuel Pressure.

I think I will use the Torque Pro App if I tow, not for everyday driving. :)

Edited by silverbullet3.6

My understanding is that Chevy is the first or one of the first to do this with the alternators. Awesome stuff, but I hope the alternator lasts A LONG TIME. :fingersx:

On another note, I hooked up my BAFX adapter, and Torque Pro to the truck. Found more PID's to monitor if I so choose. Some that really interested me was: Coolant Temp, Oil Temp, and Fuel Pressure.

I think I will use the Torque Pro App if I tow, not for everyday driving. :)

Does torque app work on iPhone these days? I have a bluetooh OBDII dongle, but last I recall, the Torque app could only be used with Android phones.

Does torque app work on iPhone these days? I have a bluetooh OBDII dongle, but last I recall, the Torque app could only be used with Android phones.

That's still correct, the Torque Pro is Android only.

But, I have heard good things about Dashcommand for iOS. :)

Also, I didnt know we could talk about our dongles on this site............ :eek: Haha, just kidding.... :lol:

• Like 1

So, I found out that the truck was not equipped to work with the Auto Android App. I have an appointment this Saturday at 8am to see if they can load it in the radio. :fingersx:

So, I found out that the truck was not equipped to work with the Auto Android App. I have an appointment this Saturday at 8am to see if they can load it in the radio. :fingersx:

That's wierd, mine has android auto. Did you make sure the setting was turned on in the menus? I think it's under something like "projection"

• Like 1

That's wierd, mine has android auto. Did you make sure the setting was turned on in the menus? I think it's under something like "projection"

Well, I turned it on under the menu's. But still nothing.

Dumb question, but have you tried plugging the phone in with a USB cable? It won't work wirelessly for some reason. Make sure it's a good one, too

Yeah, I had the phone plugged in at the USB.

When I called Chevy, they stated that when they looked up the truck, it was not installed on it.

OH well, I am sure they will get it figured out this Saturday.

When I called Chevy, they stated that when they looked up the truck, it was not installed on it.

Too many beers for that installer on the assembly line that day.

So, today I decided to put the hammer to the floor a few times. Wow, put me back in my seat!!!! :devil:

I have decided to go with roll on bedliner to protect the bed. Thankfully I have done a couple massive projects with it. So it won't look like a boob attempted it. Gawd, some people I see do it can really F*&$ it up.

Just so you guys know I will be using the Dupli-Color Bed Armor. This is the same product I have used on previous projects. Still looks great after over 5 years on the one job I did for another truck.

bedarmor.png

And then a quart for extra thickness and coverage.

I won't be doing this project for another three weeks though. Going on a cruise two weeks, and too busy with work right now.

- Preston

Good Evening ya'll

Today on the way home I already hit the 1,000 mile mark.

Wow, less than two weeks of ownership. But I do drive alot of miles. Anyways, I got some lower than usual fuel mileage, I was late to work. I was doing 76 MPH this morning, but surprising I was still getting 20-21 mpg's at that speed.

post-173366-0-99770700-1497072636_thumb.jpg

I have no complaints with 1K miles in. I sat in the rear seat while waiting on my fuel tank fill, man there is a lot of room in the Crew Cabs. No crampness, very nice. Truck is still surprising me. :drool:

Edited by MikeNH