Tire Rotation

I have had this discussion many time on my last forum (www.jeepsunlimited.com) But how do all of you go about rotating your tires? Front to rear? or do you swap them front left to rear right?

Some suggest you should do it different in a 4x4 also

I have a 2wd tahoe, any suggestions?

Thoughts?

Mike

I've always put the front straight to the back and crossed the back to the front. This has worked for me and I got 70k out of my last set of BFG All Terrains.

I have done it this way on every vehicle I own and have owned and it seems to give me the best tire life. Plus I keep an eye on the tire pressure. That I keep inflated to the max inflation on the tire side wall not what is in the door. This has been argued by many, but it has worked for me so I stick with it. To each his own. :cheers:

Oh and I rotate every 6K to 8k.

I rotate mine front to back. Radial tires are not ment to be criss-crossed. This could cause a potential belt problem with in the tire.

not true anymore...actually helps the tire wear more evenly (thanks to michelin)

they should go fronts cross to rear then rears straight forward, the opposite works almost as good

I move the fronts to the back and the back criss cross to the front abot every 7-8K miles. I have used this pattern on 2wd pickups , 4x4's and FWD cars, with good luck. Gives me a chance to look everything over and grease the suspension too.

The main thing is to pick a pattern and use the same pattern each time.

I've always done it front to rear because of the out of date radial warning and never broke the habit. I doubt if I'd increase mileage by criss crossing very much if any. I do the rotate myself anyway and it's easier just front to rear.

• 4 weeks later...

same as diagram on tiresafety.com RWD front crossed to rear/rears straight to front. Rotation should be done at 6K. I think this is in the 02 Silverado manual. I'll look when I get a chance.

5 tire rotation hardly plays into the scheme anymore as the spare tire is most likely not the same (mainly size) as the working four tires. Somewhere there's a pattern though.

Tucson,

Yeah, I know. I purposely bought the 5th tire to match my BFG 285's because i live real remote. I'm a military guy stationed in Suriname and could have to drive hours to help. That's why I got rid of the smaller tire that it came with. I wonder if I should just do the 4 tire rotation to be sure that the spare is in perfect shape if needed. Just like everybody else, I want to do it right but also efficiently.

Thanks,

Frank

Tire rotation has been discussed at great length in many other messages.

It's encouraging to see so many replies that indicate the use of an "X" or "Modified-X" rotation pattern.

I do a five tire rotation, "Modified-X" pattern, as recommended by my truck's owner's manual and by my tire manufacturer. I do this every six thousand miles (every other oil change).

I use the spare in the rotation so that in the event that I do have a catastophic failure of one of the running tires (such as my wife putting a huge hole in the sidewall by driving the edge of the tire over a piece of angle iron), I'll be able to run with four evenly worn tires and then store the new fifth in the spare position, hopefully until it's time to replace the running set.

Archived