Howdy, I have a 1998 Silverado 1500 with a 350. I bought the truck for parts but I might decide to fix it. The truck runs however water seems to dump out from underneath the AC compressor. The cooling system doesn't stay pressurized and the water comes out as fast as I can put it in. There's no coolant in the oil and it doesn't seem to burn any either. So I'm leaning towards it not being a headgasket. Any other ideas?

There are 3 places that the water leak can occur and not have water in the oil: intake manifold gasket water port; the gasket between the block and the water pump on that side; or the freeze plug in the block right next to the water pump port on that side.

Of course, if it's a freeze plug you have to wonder if anything else was damaged by the freeze.

You can dismount the A/C compressor without disconnecting the lines and lift it out of the way to get a better view.

• 5 months later...
On 6/5/2017 at 8:46 AM, dcheeseman said:

Sounds like a freeze plug got pushed out or lower coolant hose to water pump, I'd check both!

Daniel

Nah, it wasnt near either of these parts of the engine.  Turned out to be a bad intake manifold gasket.  Put a new one in and loaded it full of coolant, its been going fine for about 4 months now.  

Archived