P050D Internal Coolant Leak? Weird!

Hello all,

I have a 2015 5.3L Sierra Z71 CC. It has 20K miles, was boutght in January as a CPO, so Bumper to Bumper warranty is till good.

I had a P050D pop up a few days ago. I reset it, it came back. Went to the dealer, they kept it overnight in order to do a cold start the next day.

My understanding is that the P050D (Cold Start, rough Idle) is normally a fuel injector issue.

That is not what they decided at the dealership. Apparently they are checking for internal coolant leaks. But the coolant level was not low lol.

They put some fluorescent dye in the coolant and instructed me to drive it for a few days. The same code came back today (2 days later) and I am bringing it in tomorrow.

What do you guys think the issue could be? What would cause them to go looking for an internal leak? The Service Manual for a P050D does not even have them go that route (at least from what I can find online).

Additionally, I recently installed a BL (Zone 1.5"). Stupid questions, but I want to make sure.....There is nothing I could have done to cause this right? The BL went on 2 weeks ago, got the code the first time 4 days ago lol.

Have a read below:

#PIP5498: SES Lamp P050D P0300 Setting On A Cold Start - (May 18, 2017)

A vehicle may have a concern of DTC P050D setting along with a P0300 after a cold start up.

White smoke and/or coolant odor may come from exhaust for an extended period of time at cold start as well.

If service information for the P050D does not isolate the concern the following may be helpful.

Misfires on start up only, with high rates always on one cylinder, can be suspect forcoolant entry at the liner to deck face casting or the casting line in the intake port of the cylinder head.

To inspect for this concern, add coolant dye to the system, run engine through warm up, pressurize the cooling system after warming the engine to operating temperature (let the engine cool overnight) and inspect the suspect cylinder with a borescope for coolant dye evidence.

At times it may be necessary to remove the head for inspection.

If the head casting line is the concern the intake port will be wet with a coolant oil mix.

If this is found the cylinder head will need to be replaced.

For coolant entry at the liner to deck face casting of the cylinder bore.

It is hard to see the actual source (pin hole) but it usually streams down the liner so thatyou can see it with a borescope.(Sometimes) The top of the piston will be steam cleaned.

Do not confuse residual fuel on the piston crown / surface as coolant. Some fuel residue may be present and can be mistaken as coolant (reason for the cooling system Dye to be added). Use black light to confirm the liquid is coolant. If this concern is present, do not replace the cylinder head because that will not repair this concern. Call PQC per the latest version of 02-07-30-029, if required, reference this PI and replace the engine.

Small surface pock marks or pitting appearance on the deck surface is normal and engines should not be replaced for such appearance as they do not connect to coolant passages and cause a leak path that generate engine misfires. During engine warranty analysis studies, engines are being replaced for small pitting in the deck face as described above, when the subject cylinder / piston is saturated with fuel and not coolant

Engines replaced for light / shallow pitting conditions will be returned to the dealership as non-defective.

So update. No misfiring of the fuel injectors was noted. They placed fluorescent dye in my coolant. I drove it for a few days, same code popped back up. I brought it back in like they wanted. I just got a phone call, they are getting ready to remove the cylinder head.

They mentioned possibly replacing the engine depending on what they find.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So update. No misfiring of the fuel injectors was noted. They placed fluorescent dye in my coolant. I drove it for a few days, same code popped back up. I brought it back in like they wanted. I just got a phone call, they are getting ready to remove the cylinder head.

They mentioned possibly replacing the engine depending on what they find.

Do you have an update on this? My 2016 Silverado is at the dealership now and they told me about the coolant leak just as you were originally told. What ended up happening with your truck? What was the end result?

They will call me in the morning with their second opinion findings.

Update***

I spoke with the dealership yesterday and they said 2 fuel injectors were bad and needed to be replaced. They said they would like to keep the truck overnight to perform a cold start test and make sure the issue has been resolved.

I spoke with them today and they said everything is now ok and I can pick up my truck. Two fuel injectors replaced on a 2016 Silverado with less than 12K miles. Doesn't sit very well with me. I hope this doesn't happen again and if it does I hope it does while it is still under warranty.

• 5 months later...

I hear ya. It’s hard to have faith restored when something like that happens but once you get a few thousand more miles without issue then you’re probably good. If issue continues in near future then I would trade in or push for new engine. 

Archived