Sign in to follow this  
Gorehamj

GM Working Hard To Offer Less Car For the Money - Weight Reduction

post-139450-0-02913100-1496677785_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
6-5-2017

At a recent New England Motor Press Association (NEMPA) annual meeting at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), a representative from General Motors went deep on the topic of lightweighting. Charlie Klein, Executive Director, Global CO2 Strategy, Mass and Aerodynamics, for General Motors, wowed the group by pointing to steel, not necessarily aluminum, as a very common solution to adding lightness to vehicles. Although magnesium, composite plastics, and aluminum do play a significant role in modern automotive design, more and more advanced steel is the go-to solution for reducing mass cost effectively, while still maintaining platform rigidity and safety.

post-139450-0-53528900-1496678526_thumb.jpg

As the top of page chart highlights, General Motors has taken out hundreds of pounds of mass on every one of its popular models over the past vehicle generation. What Mr. Klein emphasized was that GM did this while steering straight into "headwinds" of increased safety requirements, infotainment and active safety electronics weight additions, and ever-increasing customer expectations of greater rigidity (which is felt by the driver as a premium feel on the road).

Among the technologies that GM has invented and patented in the past decade, the one that most impressed the group was GM's ability to spot-weld steel to aluminum. The group immediately had questions on how corrosion of the dissimilar metals was managed, but Klein assured the group it was part of the process and is now in production on the CT6.

Klein also showed how GM is making structural body segments (beneath the skin) more cost effectively, lighter, and more rigid by reducing parts. Kelin's example was the rear support section behind the rear wheel well. On the ATS that section has a dozen or more components. On the CT6, it is a single piece.

• Like 1

Very interesting.

• Like 2

I think most people would be surprised where GM was in the last 20 years on accepted Patents for the company? Usually #1,2, or 3 year after year.......Ferd is up there too.......But man I can't stand Ferd's......

• Like 1

that aluminum interaction makes sense.

bauxite is simply iron, silica and alumina.. always found together.

aluminized pipes rust fast as aluminum hydrates...gives off weird gas to any chemical (like coolant)

I'd just stay more steel, and make a unique alloy.

not sure why aluminum is such a focus. I was an aircaft mechanic.. I simply grew to hate the aluminum.

tip toe around it. always theorizing what weather will do what to it..

it just sucks.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
      4/18/18

General Motors has announced today that Johan de Nysschen is "leaving the company immediately."  

de Nysschen came to Cadillac from Infiniti and was famously responsible for the brands advantageous and controversial renaming. He then proceeded to do the same at Cadillac, renaming all of their cars and struggling with sales of the once leading luxury brand. 

Steve Carlisle has been named as Senior Vice President of General Motors and President of Cadillac moving forward. 
    • By Ozer
      2014 Sierra SLT, Bilstein level with 5100s all around, 33" tires.

I was carrying some flooring and couple cabinets yesterday and again i noticed how nice the ride was with some weight in the back. 
      My ride is already better with 5100s but it rides better with weight.
      Has anyone tried carrying 2 sandbags, maybe 200lb total for an extended period of time, wondering about gas mileage. Imagining it cant hurt it that bad.
      Whats your experience?
    • By Josh_perry24
      Hey!  As the title states, I have a standard/regular cab 2014 Silverado.  I'm looking for a set of new or near new chrome door handles,  Key on one or both sides, I guess it doesn't really matter.  Would also consider buying a full set of 4 if the price was right, though I only need the two.  Thanks for any offers!
    • By Tyler Sywyk
      Hello, I own an 08 GMC Sierra 2500HD Diesel Crew Cab Long box pick up, it's throwing a display message, but not giving me any codes, the message is service trailer brake system, it used to show that message and then I had it brought into the shop the second of July and they replaced the trailer break relay in the rear, had to change out some eye connectors at the fuse box. They also replaced the fuse. Worked great again from then to about a three weeks ago and this was including an 11 000km trip towing the trailer, it brought the message up again. The truck had been sitting and driven every once and a while, a bit of idling this winter as well, but no towing. so I replaced the fuse because it looked blown. After replaced it work fine again no more message thought maybe wet weather caused it. Now unfortunately now again yesterday I went to use it again and the message comes up, it was just recently used a few days ago and no message, today we have some dense fog as well as some rain. I think it only happens when it rains heavy or fog.. I am not entirely sure on that though. I replaced the fuse in the fuse box for the (ITBC) The one I changed out before to get it to work, and this time it did not work and nothing changed on the dash message still up.  I can more than easily replace the Relay without any issues, but I don't want to do that if it is just going to create the exact same issue. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Also on a side note, whenever I start the truck it puts out grey smoke until it has warmed up passed about 79-85 degrees Celcius (174F-187F), which is normally after driving for about 5 mins 10 at most or letting it high idle until that temp, it also does smoke when driving until warmed up. it never puts out black or blue smoke. Its grey, just as it is on a cold day in a gas engine. today we've reached the highest temp lately about 8 degrees Celcius and it still smoked. It never did this in the summer or fall just after it got cold. So I am just wondering if this is normal or if something is causing this to happen when it shouldn't be. Could it be something  as simple as it needing an oil change? Or also does it need a long drive at highway speed to deal with burn cleaning the DPF? I am a new owner to this pickup, and it is my first year with it so I am new to diesel's and don't know what to expect from them.

Any help Is much appreciated!

• By Leviaaronjones
      I've got a 2014 5.3L Silverado and yes it has the AFM I want it gone but for now I have to deal with it. I had a flowmaster 40 series installed and resonator cut off, and it is very quiet. I see no flapper valve so I am assuming that he cut it off to (which I was unaware of a flapper valve at the time). My question is, why is it so quiet? Does the AFM make that big of a difference In sound even when in v8? Is the flapper valve still there? Did the guy do something to make the truck quieter (we had a small disagreement while he was installing the system, and after he was done he said "if you ever want it louder we can cut off the 3rd cat"). Any help is greatly appreciated and I am going to try and put pics in the comments cuz it will not let me in the the post.