No GM certified Cold Air Intake for the 5.3 2017 Silverado 1500???

Was going to order a GM CAI and did some research to find that the last year listed is the 2016. I even tried GM's online chat and was told the same thing and there is no GM CAI part for the 2017. I find it strange, isnt the 2016 and 17 the same engine?

I know there are other options but was going to go with GM's version since it does not void warrenty and have any grief with dealer down the road

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was going to order a GM CAI and did some research to find that the last year listed is the 2016. I even tried GM's online chat and was told the same thing and there is no GM CAI part for the 2017. I find it strange, isnt the 2016 and 17 the same engine?

I know there are other options but was going to go with GM's version since it does not void warrenty and have any grief with dealer down the road

It's been the same engine for years. Your air sensor might be different and not fit the same hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's why we have the Magnusson Moss warranty act. Get a reputable name brand air intake and you shouldn't have to worry about warranty issues or the dealer scoffing when there's issues.

It's the same, they just haven't updated the year range yet. If you look on that K&N site and compare the '16 to the '17, the part #s are the exact same. So just order the one for the '16 and be done with it. As far as I know the engines haven't changed one bit since '14 in the 1500s.

Also don't feel like you need to get a GM certified system. Get the one that you want and don't worry about voiding the warranty. Maybe the stats have been updated, but as far as I know you can get just the Airaid M.I.T. and it does the same performance as a full air intake kit. You get the tube and get to keep the factory air filter box and it's half the price. I had an Airiad MIT on my '14 when I had it and loved it.

Warranty isn't just voided, the only ways a cold air intake can void your warranty is, not properly Installed, damaging the corresponding parts, or going into deep of water.

And even then they have to prove it was the cold air intake that caused the damage.

I completely understand all of this .

Now back to the original question, does anyone know or has anyone tired the GM CAI on a 2017?

I looked at the link provided by SuperSierra and it claims that the K&N system is guaranteed to increase torque and horsepower. I imagine this is the reason for purchasing a GM certified or any brand of cold air intake. Is this improvement noticeable or does it require special equipment to verify the improvement? A phone call to your local GM parts department will confirm the compatibility of a '16 to a '17. I may make the same call if people are noticing increased engine power!

Just found out there is a different GM CAI for the 2017. Was looking through a Chevrolet Performance flyer online and there is a different parts number.

The 2015 thru 2016 is not the same CAI

P/N 84016022 Silverado with 5.3L V8 (L83), model years 2015–2016

P/N 84089441 Silverado with 5.3L V8 (L83), model years 2017

Not sure what the difference is but.........................

Just found out there is a different GM CAI for the 2017. Was looking through a Chevrolet Performance flyer online and there is a different parts number.

The 2015 thru 2016 is not the same CAI

P/N 84016022 Silverado with 5.3L V8 (L83), model years 2015–2016

P/N 84089441 Silverado with 5.3L V8 (L83), model years 2017

Not sure what the difference is but.........................

They probably just changed something on the intake kit itself. Or maybe for some reason just changed the part #. But either one should fit.

Also the K&N kit is the same for the 5.3 and 6.2, they just include both couplers to connect the tube to the throttle body. The 6.2 TB is a tad bigger than the 5.3, everything else externally of those 2 engines are the same.

By the way, any HP gain that they show is for a cold engine bay. Once it gets to operating temp there's only 2-3 HP gain. The only performance gain you MIGHT feel is a little bit better throttle response since it's a straight shot tube and not a big box for the air to go around. Again I suggest the Airaid MIT since it does the same performance while keeping the factory air fitler box and filter so you can just keep buying a factory filter. The tube also just looks better and gives better access. But, it's your money.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know why what looks like the exact part is so much more money?

Also, and fuel efficiency changes with changing to one of these GM intakes?

Archived