No GM certified Cold Air Intake for the 5.3 2017 Silverado 1500???

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dealer informed me they have pulled the GM performance temporarily due to CEL errors and we have to wait until they fix the parameters in the software. He said within the month, he'll be able to instal mine.

• 1 month later...

By the way, any HP gain that they show is for a cold engine bay. Once it gets to operating temp there's only 2-3 HP gain. The only performance gain you MIGHT feel is a little bit better throttle response since it's a straight shot tube and not a big box for the air to go around. Again I suggest the Airaid MIT since it does the same performance while keeping the factory air fitler box and filter so you can just keep buying a factory filter. The tube also just looks better and gives better access. But, it's your money.

The OEM air box on my '17 was a joke. The intake opening into the fender was very tiny, and there was major restrictions throughout. The Volant I chose was far better engineered for maximum air flow, and therefore sound. It is also insulated to prevent the hot underhood temp from affected the intake air temp adversly. I noticed a fairly dramatic change in throttle response and overal performance with it, especially after a few hundred miles of driving. The PCM has adjusted for the difference in air flow based on my driving habits.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2017 at 1:33 PM, johng724 said:

My dealer informed me they have pulled the GM performance temporarily due to CEL errors and we have to wait until they fix the parameters in the software. He said within the month, he'll be able to instal mine.

You listed that the dealership stated a problem with the software, so is there a program flash that need done to the truck now or was the dealer just blowing smoke.?

On 10/23/2017 at 2:24 PM, Crobinson16 said:

You listed that the dealership stated a problem with the software, so is there a program flash that need done to the truck now or was the dealer just blowing smoke.?

Idk, but it’s a great question to ask.

I actually did some checking on this topic myself today. Something I wasn't aware of is , when you buy the Cai from gm there is a code for in the instructions for you to take to the dealership and have the ecm flashed.  One dealership I called wanted 115, one dealership wanted 50-10 depending on time and the other wanted 105. It doesn't matter if you buy online on from the dealership they still charge for the programming.  I called gm customer service to confirm.  Best price I found on the Cai is 468.75 plus 22.00 shipping  than you have to add the cost of programming. 

1 hour ago, Crobinson16 said:

I actually did some checking on this topic myself today. Something I wasn't aware of is , when you buy the Cai from gm there is a code for in the instructions for you to take to the dealership and have the ecm flashed.  One dealership I called wanted 115, one dealership wanted 50-10 depending on time and the other wanted 105. It doesn't matter if you buy online on from the dealership they still charge for the programming.  I called gm customer service to confirm.  Best price I found on the Cai is 468.75 plus 22.00 shipping  than you have to add the cost of programming. 

Unreal, would be nice if they told you this upfront! Is this just for the 2017 or 2014-2016 Trucks?

On 10/26/2017 at 11:30 AM, Crobinson16 said:

If anyone has had this Cai installed and actually had the flash update done , please report back with you findings as to any noticable difference. Thanks

I just exchanged e-mails with a gentleman who works in the GM Performance Parts Induction/Exhaust division.

I asked him about the flash update and his reply was: "The Silverado/Sierra intake does not require a calibration to be flashed in at the dealer. The MAF sensor on the trucks is capable of handling the extra airflow without throwing a code. "

Was also told the filter should be replaced every 10000- 20000 miles depending on conditions. It is not washable

17 hours ago, Orlando8 said:

I just exchanged e-mails with a gentleman who works in the GM Performance Parts Induction/Exhaust division.

I asked him about the flash update and his reply was: "The Silverado/Sierra intake does not require a calibration to be flashed in at the dealer. The MAF sensor on the trucks is capable of handling the extra airflow without throwing a code. "

Was also told the filter should be replaced every 10000- 20000 miles depending on conditions. It is not washable

How much is the filter?? Part #??

Archived