Extinguisher mounts?

Always had one handy in my jeeps. Anybody have one mounted on their Chevy/GMC? I'm thinking in the cab would be better, but where and how?

Always had one handy in my jeeps. Anybody have one mounted on their Chevy/GMC? I'm thinking in the cab would be better, but where and how?

You mean duck tape or Zip ties?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, for real....well they aren't as popular with vehicles that don't randomly combust. [emoji23]. Ha ha

Passed a car-baque the other day. Got me thinking...

Not saying I'd try to put out a car fire, just want to buy some time for me and mine to get out if the worst happened.

Passed a car-baque the other day. Got me thinking...

Not saying I'd try to put out a car fire, just want to buy some time for me and mine to get out if the worst happened.

No for real.. they are good to have. I was an EMT for years and always felt the responsibility of needing to be prepared. A small extinguisher in your car or truck obviously isn't going to put out a car fire, but it could help buy time to save a life. The only type of mounts I can reasonably think of are going to have to drill through plastic and use like 1" washers on the back side to support the weight so doesn't pull through the plastic... it's pretty soft. Otherwise, put it in a a tote or something and Velcro the tote to your floor. I have a small tote under my back seat to "organize" stuff. The Velcro doesn't really "stick" but it prevents the tote from sliding around during normal driving.

No for real.. they are good to have. I was an EMT for years and always felt the responsibility of needing to be prepared. A small extinguisher in your car or truck obviously isn't going to put out a car fire, but it could help buy time to save a life. The only type of mounts I can reasonably think of are going to have to drill through plastic and use like 1" washers on the back side to support the weight so doesn't pull through the plastic... it's pretty soft. Otherwise, put it in a a tote or something and Velcro the tote to your floor. I have a small tote under my back seat to "organize" stuff. The Velcro doesn't really "stick" but it prevents the tote from sliding around during normal driving.

I put a piece of that shelf liner that keeps stuff from sliding around in your drawers in your house under the tote I used to keep under my back seat. Worked awesome!

As for the fire extinguisher, it's a good idea. One of those things that you should have but hope to never use. Could you mount it under the rear seats, kind of like where the tire jack sits but on the other side? Might need to wrap a bungee around it to keep it from rolling if you slam on the brakes though.

I think it's a great idea to have a fire extinguisher on board. I carry mine in my box in the bed. However, I'm planning on mounting it at the rear of the bed with something like this.

http://www.quickfist.com/index.php/quick-fist-mounts/super-quick-fist-clamp.html

I don't see any reason why a small fire extinguisher can't stop a car-becue. Most aren't big to start with, they just get big. Since no one has a fire extinguisher. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think it's a great idea to have a fire extinguisher on board. I carry mine in my box in the bed. However, I'm planning on mounting it at the rear of the bed with something like this.

http://www.quickfist.com/index.php/quick-fist-mounts/super-quick-fist-clamp.html

I don't see any reason why a small fire extinguisher can't stop a car-becue. Most aren't big to start with, they just get big. Since no one has a fire extinguisher. [emoji38]

I'm not going to pretend I'm a fire fighter but the average car sized extinguisher doesn't have enough chemical to put out anything more than trash can fire. I think the common car sized is 2lbs and only lasts about 8 seconds. The reason why car fires look like they can be defeated is because the hood is closed and there is limited oxygen. Never open the hood to fight a car fire. Even fire fighters keep the hood closed and spray through the wheel wheels and open the hood when a flash risk is low. If you're going to get out of the money and make a difference you want a 5lber, it's still not (imo) going to put a fire out under the hood. But it might save a life if you have to put one down long enough in the cab of a car to help get someone out.

One time was crawling down the highway in rush hour. Couple cars ahead pulls over, opens his door and smoke starts billowing out. The electrical panel in the door for the door locks and window buttons had caught fire. He was trying to smother it out but only fanned the flames.

From that point on I started carrying an extinguisher. It can be used to add percious seconds when helping people from a burning vehicle or extinguish someone's clothing. I toss mine behind the seat since I have a regular cab. Was thinkin to put it in the bed box but that takes time to unlock

Good thread! This has served as a reminder! I use to always carry a fire extinguisher in my truck! They can save lives and should be part of your emergency supplies especially when travelling off the beaten path. FYI, I once put out a car fire in a school parking lot with a fire extinguisher from the school. I thought I was doing the right thing but I was advised later that if there is no imminent danger, let the vehicle burn and wait for the fire department to arrive. I was told that the toxic fumes from a car fire are not safe unless you have proper equipment. It is a good idea to carry a fire extinguisher and also to know its proper use.

I'm thinking a 5lb er under the back seat. Maybe I can mount it to the big WeatherTech floor mat to keep it in place...

Not too concerned with saving the truck, once the kids and the Mrs are out the truck doesn't matter. Insurance is up to date!

• 1 month later...

I saw a big one mounted to a back rack nexto a guys transfer tank. I don't like the idea of subjecting it to the elements though

Ya, same. I also want it a little more accessible. I have a tonneau cover on my truck and keep the tail gate locked, so by the time I fiddle with that it may be too late.

Just picked up a 2 lb fire extinguisher and it seems to fit well under the rear seat behind the crank to lower the spare tire or under the drivers seat. Any issues with laying these things flat? I always see them mounted vertically.

I think it's a great idea to have a fire extinguisher on board. I carry mine in my box in the bed. However, I'm planning on mounting it at the rear of the bed with something like this. http://www.quickfist.com/index.php/quick-fist-mounts/super-quick-fist-clamp.html

20+ years ago I'm on my way home on a early Sunday morning in San Diego. Up ahead of me some distance I can see smoke coming from a truck on the side of the road. I also can see a young man come running up over the embankment with a fast food joint cup and he splashes the engine bay and back down the embankment he goes as I'm pulling over in front of him.

I jumped out with me fire extinguisher and as he pops back up over the embankment huffing and puffing and splashes it again I asked if he needed the fire extinguisher. He said " I think I got it". Wrong it flared again. He looked at his cup and that embankment again and said "hit it". Apparently he had made that trip about a dozen times scooping water out of a puddle. I'm glad I had my extinguisher and I never want to have to rely on a cup and puddle of water.

Archived