2017 6.2L with 3.23 of 3.42 gears?

I will be buying a 2017 Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab SLT short box with a 6.2L with 8-speed transmission. My question is whether I should get the 3.23 gears or the 3.42 gears (which means max tow package and bigger mirrors than I like).

Overall, I have a need for speed and don't want to feel like I'm getting something worse than I already have. I currently have a 2006 5.3L 4x4 Crew Cab Sierra short box with a 4-speed transmission and 4.10 gears. It also has a Magnuson Supercharger with the stock boost and stock Magnuson tune.

For the new 6.2L truck, I plan on first getting an engine tune (and transmission tune when everything gets figured out and someone can do it - lots of back and forth on this subject...Black Bear says it can't be done, HPtuners has "limited tuning", and Corvettes of Westchester says he can fully tune the 2017 transmission, but that's a different thread). If, after the tune, I still feel like the truck is wimpier than my current supercharged ride, i will then buy a supercharger.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with a 6.2L with 3.23 or 3.42 gears that can say I will be fine with the 3.23 or I will regret the 3.23 gears?

Have a 2015 All Terrain 6.2 with 3.23 gears and it will flat out move. Don't think the 3.42 gears will make a huge difference IMO. Just remember to press the pedal to the floor when test driving. There is a detent/stop before you can fully nail it and others have posted about this.

Keep the old one as a weekend ride and toy. Buy an all star edition with E 85 option and have the best of both words and save about 15K that's what I did. I've gone through several new rides still have the old S/C one to play with. Once you go S/C nothing compares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Logic would say to me that you'd be better off with the 3.42. The 6.2 with the 3.23 is much more power than you need but you are looking for the most. The tow mirrors are easily traded but you may really like them once you give them a try!

I did forget to mention in the OP that I'm not towing anything.

I kind of want to stay away from considering E85 as a need because it means that I cannot have the 6.2L engine (unless someone knows how to convert that engine to accept it...I read somewhere that there is a kit to do this...any info would be appreciated). Also, California sucks and only offers it at VERY few gas stations in the Los Angeles area. With traffic, you could be driving an hour each way to get to a gas station to get it.

And does Magnuson offer a SC for a Sierra that can use E85? I know of a Toyota version, but don't have knowledge about a GM version.

But back to the OP, the gear choice. I know 3.42 would be preferred, but will 3.23 disappoint is the question.

So far the vote is:

3 say 3.23 will not disappoint

1 says 3.23 will disappoint

If your not going to tow I'd go taller gear with the 6.2, you have plenty gears in the transmission and first gear in the transmission would give you plenty of get up and go. You would see the traction control light flashing and feel the tires spinning on hard take off. Any more gear would just create more wheel spinning and the intrusion of traction control and slower take off. Most traction control systems aren't very good and just cut power and cause yo-yo effect. Most people who complain about bad take off power on here are experiencing traction control interference. I've driven plenty of 14 up GM trucks and SUVS and breaking traction wasn't a problem, traction control was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat and am leaning towards a 6.2 Sierra SLT. In my case I want the Z71 package but understand it is only available with the 3.23 gears. Good to know it will get up and go, I don't tow anything and the only thing I plan to haul is ass.

3.23 will not disappoint, thats what I have, a buddy of mine has an NHT/3.42 and I've driven it quite a bit, I can't tell a difference

I test drove both gears with the 6.2. the one with 3.23 gears is the only one I did a really awesome burnout with because I planned on buying the one with 3.42's. I was at a intersection in a rural area with only a gas station on the corner. There was a guy with a ugly new Ford F-150 looking my way so I turned off the nannies and lit them up. I was impressed with the pull that truck had with 3.23 gears for sure.

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

3.23 will not disappoint, thats what I have, a buddy of mine has an NHT/3.42 and I've driven it quite a bit, I can't tell a difference

Thanks! I'm assuming your friend also has a crew cab 6.2L with an 8-speed?

I'm glad to hear that 3.23 guys are saying it won't disappoint because that opens up a wider market for me when I'm about to buy. I'm really hoping the engine tune (and transmission tune when possible) will make a huge performance improvement so I'm not missing my supercharger.

I test drove both gears with the 6.2. the one with 3.23 gears is the only one I did a really awesome burnout with because I planned on buying the one with 3.42's. I was at a intersection in a rural area with only a gas station on the corner. There was a guy with a ugly new Ford F-150 looking my way so I turned off the nannies and lit them up. I was impressed with the pull that truck had with 3.23 gears for sure.

NICE! =) Very encouraging for someone like me that's on the fence.

Just to compare apples with apples, were they both 8-speeds?

And was the burnout going straight, or turning?

Both were 8 speed tranny's. 2015 and up 6.2's only come with the 8 speed. Looking back I may have been a little silly wanting only the 3.42 NHT package with the huge mirrors. I like the gears and mirrors but sometimes I see a truck with regular mirrors and think it must be nice not having huge mirrors at times.

If I had to do it over I would definitely not discount the 6.2 with 3.23 gears. The 8 speed makes up for it!

Thanks! I'm assuming your friend also has a crew cab 6.2L with an 8-speed?

I'm glad to hear that 3.23 guys are saying it won't disappoint because that opens up a wider market for me when I'm about to buy. I'm really hoping the engine tune (and transmission tune when possible) will make a huge performance improvement so I'm not missing my supercharger.

NICE! =) Very encouraging for someone like me that's on the fence.

Just to compare apples with apples, were they both 8-speeds?

And was the burnout going straight, or turning?

Oh and by the way the burnout was on dry pavement, going straight and no power braking. Just mashed the loud pedal and I was gone . The Ford guy probably wet his pants.

Archived