2017 6.2L with 3.23 of 3.42 gears?

i'd definitely go with 3.23 if I was buying a new one. The lower gear is not worth the max tow if you don't tow much.

Keep in mind the more gears you have the less the diff ratio matters. The 8 speed has a short first gear.

There is no argument that the standard axle ratio with the 6.2 "will not disappoint". The 4.3 doesn't disappoint me! Any power combination above the base equipment will exceed the needs for the average buyer. If you are purchasing a new truck for the most power on tap why not go for the 3.42? There are many threads bestowing the advantages of the 5.3 when paired with a 3.42 over the same engine paired with a 3.08 rear axle ratio. I believe similar arguments should apply here. This is not intended to provoke a heated debate but is a legitimate question.

There is no argument that the standard axle ratio with the 6.2 "will not disappoint". The 4.3 doesn't disappoint me! Any power combination above the base equipment will exceed the needs for the average buyer. If you are purchasing a new truck for the most power on tap why not go for the 3.42? There are many threads bestowing the advantages of the 5.3 when paired with a 3.42 over the same engine paired with a 3.08 rear axle ratio. I believe similar arguments should apply here. This is not intended to provoke a heated debate but is a legitimate question.

Because it's not just a rear end, it's a max tow package.

Also, there are two different transmission options. If we're talking 6l80, 3.42 all the way.

I am in the same boat as OP in regards to towing, I don't tow much. I'd go with the 3.23 without max tow, and I love my 3.42.

6l80/6.2 - Max tow = 3.73, highest rear end without max tow is 3.42

8l90/6.2 - Max tow = 3.42, highest rear end without max tow is 3.23

I will be buying a 2017 Sierra 4x4 Crew Cab SLT short box with a 6.2L with 8-speed transmission. My question is whether I should get the 3.23 gears or the 3.42 gears (which means max tow package and bigger mirrors than I like).

Overall, I have a need for speed and don't want to feel like I'm getting something worse than I already have. I currently have a 2006 5.3L 4x4 Crew Cab Sierra short box with a 4-speed transmission and 4.10 gears. It also has a Magnuson Supercharger with the stock boost and stock Magnuson tune.

For the new 6.2L truck, I plan on first getting an engine tune (and transmission tune when everything gets figured out and someone can do it - lots of back and forth on this subject...Black Bear says it can't be done, HPtuners has "limited tuning", and Corvettes of Westchester says he can fully tune the 2017 transmission, but that's a different thread). If, after the tune, I still feel like the truck is wimpier than my current supercharged ride, i will then buy a supercharger.

Does anyone have firsthand experience with a 6.2L with 3.23 or 3.42 gears that can say I will be fine with the 3.23 or I will regret the 3.23 gears?

My Advice for anyone ordering a truck is as follows.

Get the Biggest Best engine you can and always opt for the highest numerical rear end ratio.

I can't tell you how many people came here with V6 Camaros (cause they saved 10 grand and wanted better mileage)

and spent tons of money trying to get it up to the SS status of performance. CRAZY

Just buy the truck with the options you need for the best performance and build it from there.

Chuck CoW

I want to thank everyone that chimed in on this post. My original question was not whether the 3.23 or 3.42 is better, but rather, will I regret and/or be disappointed with the 3.23 gears. I fully understand that it's ideal to buy the best setup you can the first time (good analogy with the "don't buy a V6 and try to mod it into something that feels like a V8"), but again, the question is "will the 3.23 disappoint?"

According to many members here, the 3.23 will not disappoint. This does not mean that I will be seeking a 3.23, but it does mean that I now have MANY more options for the new 6.2L truck. Now that I can get a 3.23, a Denali is an option. Now that I can get a 3.23, 10x more SLTs are available than just the SLTs with Max Tow.

Thanks guys!

Logic would say to me that you'd be better off with the 3.42. The 6.2 with the 3.23 is much more power than you need but you are looking for the most. The tow mirrors are easily traded but you may really like them once you give them a try!

I meant to ask you a few days ago if you have any info about swapping out the mirrors.

I meant to ask you a few days ago if you have any info about swapping out the mirrors.

There are several threads on this topic in this forum. Type "tow mirrors" in the search box at the top right of this page and you will find several threads on this topic. You will quickly discover we have a member, pgamboa, who is an expert at swapping mirrors and can answer any specific or technical questions. I would also recommend that you ask your dealer about switching mirrors as part of your negotiations. I believe more people are switching to than out of tow mirrors. You will find dealers or individuals very willing to trade! Personally, I'd keep the tow mirrors and try them out for awhile if I was in your position. You may discover why so many prefer this style of mirror! If you don't like them after a few weeks, there will still be many people looking to buy or swap mirrors!

Edit: Here is a current and interesting thread that will give you a sense of the mirror discussion: http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/198157-2014-2017-dl8-dl3-towing-mirror-upgrade-mirrors-explained/

Archived