I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 LT Z71. On the factory grill, there are three gloss black "grill bars" that appear to be separate pieces from the flat black grill inserts. On the 2017 LTZ Z71, these three bars are chrome plated. I think that is a nice way to add just enough chrome to the grill to really make it pop, so to speak. Since I have not had the gril off of the truck, I am not sure how the gloss black grill bars are fastened on. Is there a way to remove them and replace them with the chrome versions? And if so, how would I obtain the chrome replacements without buying a complete LTZ Z71 grill from GM?

Just for reference, here is a picture of my grill:post-173577-0-51380300-1497270257_thumb.jpg

And here is a picture of a LTZ Z71 grill. This is the look I am trying to achieve:post-173577-0-61867700-1497270315_thumb.jpg

I would really appreciate any input. Thanks

post-173577-0-51380300-1497270257_thumb.jpg

post-173577-0-61867700-1497270315_thumb.jpg

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should probably consider swapping the big three pieces., top center and bottom. Instead of the inserts ones. Those are much easier to change than the inserts. I did a 16 conversion on mine, I obtain the High Country grille then I noticed the z71 are different and preferred more than the HC. I don't think you can remove the inserts without breaking it. Makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should probably consider swapping the big three pieces., top center and bottom. Instead of the inserts ones. Those are much easier to change than the inserts. I did a 16 conversion on mine, I obtain the High Country grille then I noticed the z71 are different and preferred more than the HC. I don't think you can remove the inserts without breaking it. Makes sense?

I'm not quite sure I understand. If I swap the "big three pieces" and not the inserts, what have I achieved? To be honest, I prefer the look of a chrome grill and chrome headlight surrounds. I just can't see spending that much on cosmetics.

I'm not quite sure I understand. If I swap the "big three pieces" and not the inserts, what have I achieved? To be honest, I prefer the look of a chrome grill and chrome headlight surrounds. I just can't see spending that much on cosmetics.

The center piece is all one piece. Minus the bow tie. You can't just change the grille sections out.

I understand that the grill is all one piece. However, the three bars (gloss black on my truck, chrome on the LTZ Z71) are definitely separate pieces. I'm just not sure how they are fastened and where I can find the replacements.

The grills come apart. Even th4 surrounds come off

Do you mean the headlight surrounds come off? Are the grill components and headlight surrounds available as separate part numbers, or would these pieces all be salvage yard items? If I could find chrome headlight surrounds, I would consider buying a HC grill from GM and selling my siren red grill.

My point is if you find the one with the chrome inserts like the one you want just replace the " 3 big pieces" if you must swap any pieces.. those are much easier..

I don't mind it being a difficult job. The problem with swapping the entire grill is that I'd have to have it painted since mine is a color matched grill.

Archived