GMT-900 Won't start when hot

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Triki Dick

Triki Dick

Enthusiast

• 335 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

I have had this problem for a long time, but it has never bothered me until lately.

During the winter, I have no issues, but the summer is a different story.

New battery was my first step, installed a Gel Red top.

Get in, drive, enjoy your ride but when you get to your destination turn off the truck and BOOM, your screwed.  I usually wait about 15 minutes and when I turn the key the truck starts like nothing is wrong. 

Usually, what I do is get mad, and rattle the battery, and that has made it start.  Usually, just opening the hood and cussing has made it start, but that doesn't always work.  Well, I just crawled under the truck and took the starter loose in hope I would find a loose connection on the starter.  It was tight. 

For some reason, I have heard a tick, and after it ticks the truck will start.  The tick sounds to be coming from close to the battery bay, but I am not sure. 

So, I wait until it cools off, and it will start right up and drive. 

Any advice will be appreciated.

Posted Image

#2 Triki Dick

Triki Dick

Enthusiast

• 335 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

I have been thinking about this, and I think this may of been a common thing because there is a heat shield over the coil (I think that's the correct name).

I took the starter off, and checked the connections, however the exhaust is 2" from the starter, so obviously the heat from the exhaust is effecting the starter.

Thanks to the people who have viewed this post, hopefully I can find a solution.

Posted Image

#3 intheburbs

intheburbs

Enthusiast

• 380 posts
  • Drives:2008 Suburban 2500 3LT

Posted 18 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

You have to be more specific about "not starting." No crank?  Crank but no fire?  Crank, partial fire, but doesn't completely catch?

Since you're talking about the starter, I'll assume you get no crank when it's hot.  Do other electrical systems work?  If you turn on the ignition when it's hot, but not try to crank it, does everything power on as it should?

My first guess would be a loose connection somewhere.  Check all of your cables.

2009 Sierra Denali 1500 - 6.2 L9H, 3.42, AWD

2008 Suburban 2500 3LT - 6.0 LY6, 3.73, 4x4, Blackbear EFI live

2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank - 3.21, Alpine, leather, 430N (hers)

2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC - 3.73 (his)

2001 Suburban 1500 LT - 5.3, 4.10, 4x4, Wheatley  tune *SOLD*

#4 2009 GMC

2009 GMC

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,104 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

Could be a relay going bad.

1979 Chevrolet Silverado K10 4x4 400 6.6 T350 NP203 Posi 3.73 33" BFGs Regular cab Short Bed
1991 Audi 90 Quattro 20V 5cyl www.20v.org

1997 Chevrolet Silverado K1500 4x4 Z71 350 5.7 4L60e 3:73 14 Bolt Rear F44 G80 Extended cab 3rd Door 200K club

#5 starman8tdc

starman8tdc

Enthusiast

• 33 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 02:40 AM

Starter overheating?

Defective relay?

Automatic engine shutdown system engaged?

You could test the starter by hot wring it directly to the battery ( I dont have the procedure, maybe jumper cables, screw driver etc)

Opening the hood will allow cold air to rush up from under the motor as the heat rises out from the engine compartment. This could cool off the starter, relays etc. 

#6 repairman54

repairman54

Enthusiast

• 27 posts
  • Drives:11 Tahoe LTZ 16 Equinox LTZ 09 Malibu

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:31 AM

Keep your VOM with you to check voltage at the battery to verify if battery or cables.

Hot starter fails don't fix themselves by rattling the battery.

Check voltage drop from battery to starter, I've had bad cables that look like new on the outside causing erratic starts.

I've had 3 batteries in the last 12 yrs , all in warranty, fail due to internal connection problems causing erratic starts. Those were the fails that wacking the battery made the headlights come back on and it starts. In 2 different vehicles BTW.

"Some suffer from insanity, I choose to enjoy it"

TCCA Member

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users