4X4 Dash Indicator

Was on the highway today taking a 100 mile drive (hot & dry out) and noticed the truck was in 4H. I think a valet must have twisted the knob a few days ago unbeknownst to me.

Anyway, I would have thought a light in the instrument cluster would indicate when the truck is in 4WD, but not the case. The only way I can tell is to either look at the position of the knob or go to the "Off Road" page in the DIC which indicates transfer case position.

The owner's manual says there's an indicator in the instrument cluster, but I'm not seeing it. That would be preferred as I don't want to do this again. Am I missing something?

Will change the front diff fluid just to be safe. Hopefully i didn't do damage driving it in 4WD. I know not good for tires.

Yup, welcome to stupid GM engineering regarding the 4X4 light, sadly since 2007 we've had just a little pinhole light on the 4X4 selector knobs to tell us when the truck is in 4WD or not. I am sad to see it carried over to the 2014+ models.

I really don't like not having a dash lit up indicator when in 4wd. I do like the 4wd information page though. That is useful and it tells me what wheel is slipping, losing traction, angles, etc.

However, I just learned there is a little green light on the knob when in 4wd. So one more thing learned off this forum.

I beat on my 13 6.2, never hurt her till I flipped it. You didn't notice the difference being in 4wd???

ETA, it's a NTH max trailering truck with 3.73s, running 93 from day one i averaged 12.7 mpg

Nah, couldn't tell I was in 4WD. No binding, no nothing. Was on the highway, so no tight turns. Once i moved from 4 to 2 i did notice a bit less drivetrain noise, so I'll keep my ear open in the future.

My truck has the manual t case shifter. There is a light on the dash when it's engaged.

Yup, all the W/Ts with the manual floor shifter got a light on the dash. But for those without the manual shifter there is no light in the dash. No bulb behind the dash in the area that it is in for those with the manual shifter, and no place to plug a bulb in. Back in the day, someone on here who was some sort of an electronics engineer made an aftermarket light kit for the dash for the GMT-900s for 1 or 2 years and I got one for my 2008 Sierra, It worked great. Sold the truck with it still on there. But the guy stopped making them after 1 or 2 years and no one else makes them.

Are you positive it was actually engaged? I noticed my knob was on 4 High for a few days, but it must have got turned while the truck was off, because it didn't actually engage. The knob was in 4 High position but no light. They bind horribly on pavement when actually engaged.

Are you positive it was actually engaged? I noticed my knob was on 4 High for a few days, but it must have got turned while the truck was off, because it didn't actually engage. The knob was in 4 High position but no light. They bind horribly on pavement when actually engaged.

I checked the owner's manual. Sounds like you need to move the knob while the truck is on for it to actually shift into 4wd. So I think maybe it was moved while the truck was off, like your situation. I didn't notice any binding when driving so it makes sense.

By the way, do we have to back the truck up when going from 4wd to 2wd in order to disengage the hubs completely? Used to have to do this with my '88 Bronco.

I wonder if it gets bumped into 4WD on the knob while the keys are out it won't engage the transfer case when the engine starts?

I think this is correct.

It has been a major beef of mine also that there is no 4x4 dash light that comes on. Wife has forgotten to disengage the 4x4 a couple of times after taking the pickup off the property onto the road.

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a major beef of mine also that there is no 4x4 dash light that comes on. Wife has forgotten to disengage the 4x4 a couple of times after taking the pickup off the property onto the road.

Don't know how much bigger of a light you want 8f5dbf4a78ed4f19fcb7e5aa995565b6.jpg

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk

I have never seen that in the DIC on my pickup. The only thing that has showed up in the DIC is when it is switched. If the pickup is already in 4x4 when one of us starts it up and drives, it does not show anything remotely like what you posted. Only indication is physically looking at the switch itself.

Maybe a GMC thing over my Silverado.

Yup, welcome to stupid GM engineering regarding the 4X4 light, sadly since 2007 we've had just a little pinhole light on the 4X4 selector knobs to tell us when the truck is in 4WD or not. I am sad to see it carried over to the 2014+ models.

I really don't like not having a dash lit up indicator when in 4wd. I do like the 4wd information page though. That is useful and it tells me what wheel is slipping, losing traction, angles, etc.

However, I just learned there is a little green light on the knob when in 4wd. So one more thing learned off this forum.

And if it's sunny, you can't discern that it's on.

While we're talking about dash lights, it's nice that the high beam indicator now dims when you dim the cluster.

Archived