Passenger seat squeak fix anybody?

I found this clip on YouTube of another Silverado that is exactly the same squeak I have. It's the one when a passenger is not in the seat.

Has Anyone figured out how to eliminate this squeak? So far my fix is put seat back down or all the way back. Thanks all for any ideas.

• 8 months later...

Watch the video on YouTube, there a comments from viewers regarding a fix, appears to be an issue with cracks in the metal base.  My '16 started doing the same thing, still under warranty so adding it to the list of issues the next time I take it in for service.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I've been posting about my passenger seat rattle on the B pillar tick forum on this site (because I've had that issue come up from time to time too)

The passenger seat is making a metallic clicking/rattling noise on bumps when the seat is empty - although I am starting to hear it too with my wife in the seat, but it usually isn't as bad if the seat is occupied.  If I push against the seat with some force (towards the passenger door) it goes away.  I can't tell if there is something loose under the seat or if perhaps a piece of metal frame inside the seat is maybe cracked or came apart.   I've tried playing around with some of the wiring and harnesses under the seat but that doesn't seem to do anything.

I've been thinking about taking the seat out completely (removing the torx bolts and actually lifting the entire seat up ) then maybe putting some shims under the rails on the left side to apply pressure up against the seat and then bolting it back down to see if maybe that stops it.  I'm really at a loss. 

I had the truck at the dealership a couple of weeks back and of course the tech couldn't hear the noise - which is mind boggling to me because the seat is rattling pretty much constantly when you hit any imperfection in the road. I get this feeling he didn't feel like messing with it.  Who knows.  Its just such a pain driving it over there and then trying to see if they can get me a loaner or take me to work.  Its irritating.

Other than the rattles the truck is great - but the rattles drive me nuts.

• 3 weeks later...

I had this start recently in my Sierra (only when no passenger in the seat), found it was a connector under the seat rattling against the mount.  Bent is slightly farther away and rattle went away.  did it to the Silverado also just so it wouldn't start making the rattling noise.

On 7/28/2019 at 9:43 PM, peterlawl84 said:

I had this start recently in my Sierra (only when no passenger in the seat), found it was a connector under the seat rattling against the mount.  Bent is slightly farther away and rattle went away.  did it to the Silverado also just so it wouldn't start making the rattling noise.

Do you have a picture of which connector it is under the seat?  My seat has been quiet the last few days until this morning on my way to work - it started again and it was rattling pretty bad. 

The rattle comes and goes, which is somewhat even more annoying. I've tried fiddling with anything under the seat that I think it could possibly be but the rattle keeps coming back.  

I can't really tell if the rattle is metallic on metallic, or maybe something plastic ?

Its funny, the last few days of quiet driving I kept thinking "wow, I love this truck and I could drive it for years" but as soon as I heard  the seat my thought was "god I need to trade this thing in " LOL.

2 hours ago, Bob Miller said:

Do you have a picture of which connector it is under the seat?  My seat has been quiet the last few days until this morning on my way to work - it started again and it was rattling pretty bad. 

The rattle comes and goes, which is somewhat even more annoying. I've tried fiddling with anything under the seat that I think it could possibly be but the rattle keeps coming back.  

I can't really tell if the rattle is metallic on metallic, or maybe something plastic ?

Its funny, the last few days of quiet driving I kept thinking "wow, I love this truck and I could drive it for years" but as soon as I heard  the seat my thought was "god I need to trade this thing in " LOL.

I can try to get a pick of it when I get home, didnt drive either of them today.  But if you look under the passenger seat, it was about right in the middle.  It was a plastic wiring harness that was clipped onto a metal bracket.  Took me awhile to figure it out, thought it was something rattling in the door as I would only hear it while driving the truck with no one in the passenger seat.  When I tapped on the harness it recreated the sound that I was hearing when driving, just bent it slightly and it has stopped.  If it returns, I might just put some tape around it to hold it tightly against the metal bracket.

1 hour ago, peterlawl84 said:

I can try to get a pick of it when I get home, didnt drive either of them today.  But if you look under the passenger seat, it was about right in the middle.  It was a plastic wiring harness that was clipped onto a metal bracket.  Took me awhile to figure it out, thought it was something rattling in the door as I would only hear it while driving the truck with no one in the passenger seat.  When I tapped on the harness it recreated the sound that I was hearing when driving, just bent it slightly and it has stopped.  If it returns, I might just put some tape around it to hold it tightly against the metal bracket.

Thanks for posting this.  I actually took the truck out during lunch and looked under the seat and found exactly what you're talking about.  I bent the bracket (kind of downward towards the floor) slightly so the wiring harness was more stable.  Unfortunately the rattle is still there. 

But this gave me another idea of what it might be -I think that maybe the rattle could be a different wiring harness that is tucked up under the bottom of the seat towards the back side of the seat.  I played around with it a little (and subsequently moved the seat forward and then back again on the track) , drove the truck around the block near my office and it seemed to be quiet.   I'll know on my way home because I take a few streets to get to my neighborhood that almost always produce the noise.

My biggest fear is that the actual seat frame is cracked and needs to be rewelded or something.

52 minutes ago, Bob Miller said:

Thanks for posting this.  I actually took the truck out during lunch and looked under the seat and found exactly what you're talking about.  I bent the bracket (kind of downward towards the floor) slightly so the wiring harness was more stable.  Unfortunately the rattle is still there. 

But this gave me another idea of what it might be -I think that maybe the rattle could be a different wiring harness that is tucked up under the bottom of the seat towards the back side of the seat.  I played around with it a little (and subsequently moved the seat forward and then back again on the track) , drove the truck around the block near my office and it seemed to be quiet.   I'll know on my way home because I take a few streets to get to my neighborhood that almost always produce the noise.

My biggest fear is that the actual seat frame is cracked and needs to be rewelded or something.

No problem, it annoyed the crap out of me and I even took apart the door a couple of times and couldn't figure it out. Hopefully its not a cracked frame!

I'm thinking about unbolting the seat so I can lift it up and get a better look at everything that is mounted underneath it - maybe try and see if I can tape up or put plastic zip ties on anything that may be loose that can vibrate and touch the frame or touch any other parts

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2019 at 12:00 PM, Mattoo1977 said:

I just found the mysterious chirp coming from passenger side of my cab! It was absolutely driving me bonkers! In my case it was the cross bar above the battery was loose. Tightened it down and Voilà sound is gone! Hopefully this helps someone! 

Its funny how noises caused by something in one area of the truck can reverb into a completely unrelated area.

I know in my case though its definitely the seat making the noise.  I can push the seat with some force towards the door and the noise instantly stops.  Drives me insane sometimes.