AC Delco filters suck

• 1 month later...

The 48E (and 63E) when not tightened properly or over tightened do leak, it crushes the o-ring. We see this a few times a month at work.

This is your problem in the bold. You should by hand tighten it until the gasket touches the mating surface, then tighten it no more than 1 full turn with a filter wrench or cup.

Try this and if you still have issues, buy the UPF-48R Ultraguard.

48R has a much stronger O-ring and filter body.

I thought they quit making the Ultraguards many years ago. Where can you buy them?

I thought they quit making the Ultraguards many years ago. Where can you buy them?

Dealers, online, AC Delco parts stores, etc. 12626224 is the GM part# for the UPF-48R.

Edited by 15HDriver

Been doing oil changes for 40 years for myself/family/friends. It's easy and you know the correct amount and type of oil and filter were used, and that all of the zerks got greased. And you can see if anything else needs done while you are under there.

Hardly ever had to use a filter wrench until I got my Silverado. Seem the General designed the truck without an oil filter, then decided to cut out side of the oilpan to barely allow a small one. :fume: Installed the first one according to the directions, oiling gasket and tightening by hand until contacting base and then 3/4 of a turn more. Was a total pain in the rump trying to turn it any without any finger room. Had my first oil filter leak ever. Now I use an oil filter cap wrench with a ratchet and an extension and tighten approx 1 and 1/4 turns after contacting base. No problems, and no more leaks. I know some would say that's too tight, but that is still not as tight as my dealer puts them on.

Dealers, online, AC Delco parts stores, etc. 12626224 is the GM part# for the UPF-48R.

RockAuto says they are for Corvettes and Camaros. Are they also a direct fit plug-n-play replacement for a 5.3L truck with AFM that uses my cache of AC Delco PF-48's? (Am trying not to use the AC Delco e-core filters [such as PF-48E], have read too many bad things about them, unless they have all the bugs worked out by now.)

Edited by Maverick Z71

RockAuto says they are for Corvettes and Camaros. Direct fit plug-n-play replacement for a 5.3L truck with AFM that uses my cache of AC Delco PF-48's? (Am trying not to use the AC Delco e-core filters (such as PF-48E), have read too many bad things about them, unless they have all the bugs worked out by now.)

Fits all Gen 4 LS. 4.8, 5.3, 6.0, 6.2.

RockAuto says they are for Corvettes and Camaros. Are they also a direct fit plug-n-play replacement for a 5.3L truck with AFM that uses my cache of AC Delco PF-48's? (Am trying not to use the AC Delco e-core filters [such as PF-48E], have read too many bad things about them, unless they have all the bugs worked out by now.)

My Camaro and Silverado both use the same filter (PF48)

Ryan B.

Well, I was hoping this thread would just go away with the way that I worded the title. I'm sorry if I offended anybody with my rage fueled original post. As Maverek Z71stated above, I had never had a filter leak until this truck, pissed me off, hence the title. I have digested all these responses and see my error.

But I have to add, a lot of people said I was distorting the filter body, and ruining the rubber o ring, etc etc. If hand tight, and 1/4 of a turn with a wrench damages the filter in any way, POS. I have switched brands.

No Problem here bud. Everyone has the right to an opinion IMO.

I buy fleet filters by the dozen from auto stores. Have for years, same filter the fast lube joints use. :happysad:

NEVER use a wrench to tighten an oil filter, NEVER. That's your problem, you are distorting the filter by over-tightening. Install till gasket contacts base plate, then +3/4 turn by hand.

Someone who has done 1,000's of oil changes should know to never use a wrench to install a oil filter. Not only can that distort the gasket, it can distort the filter assembly.

I concur. I only tighten about 3/4 turn by hand after gasket contacts base. Even on my heavy commercial trucks. I lube the gasket and only hand turn.