AC Delco filters suck

NEVER use a wrench to tighten an oil filter, NEVER. That's your problem, you are distorting the filter by over-tightening. Install till gasket contacts base plate, then +3/4 turn by hand.

Someone who has done 1,000's of oil changes should know to never use a wrench to install a oil filter. Not only can that distort the gasket, it can distort the filter assembly.

Hahaha... No kidding right? It's user error but im gonna blame shitty filters lol

He said he only does a 1/4 turn with the wrench which isn't much. As long as you put a little oil all around the o-ring on the filter there shouldn't be a problem unless you tighten it like you think it has to be as tight as humanly possible. I've done many oil changes and use a wrench to tighten just slightly more than hand tight and never had a filter leak. I just use Mobil 1 filters and I've read about people not liking the AC Delco oil filters. So maybe on a cheap crappy filter you can only do hand tight, but a quality filter I see no problem snugging it up slightly pass hand tight, but still not as tight as you can turn it.

I've read about people not liking mobile 1 filters too, so where does that leave us? 2 guys, reading things on the net, so it much be true right?

Really, what are the chances of 3 oil filters in a row leaking? IN A ROW at different points in time during 13,000 miles?? That is enough to know it's something else. Whether that's over tighting the filter or something else, who knows.

If they were terrible filters, I highly doubt that every damn gm dealer would continue to use them and risk all sorts of claims against their lube department. It's a complete non issue.

• Like 1

NEVER use a wrench to tighten an oil filter, NEVER. That's your problem, you are distorting the filter by over-tightening. Install till gasket contacts base plate, then +3/4 turn by hand.

Someone who has done 1,000's of oil changes should know to never use a wrench to install a oil filter. Not only can that distort the gasket, it can distort the filter assembly.

I've used an oil filter wrench for years and hundreds of oil changes never had a leak

Ryan B.

• Like 3

I always wipe off the filter land and inspect. No apparent flaws of blemishes. The o ring is not on the filter land. I tighten as tight as I can by hand, then one quarter turn more with wrench. The blue filters are not leaking an enormous amount, just drips down the side, still leaking though. The main reason I'm using these filters is you guys, I have read that the GM brand does great on GM. I have done thousands of oil changes on cars, trucks, bikes, 4 wheelers, lawn mowers, and have never had three consecutive leaks, never.

Rant over, I was pissed climbing out from under the truck three times in a row with filter issues. No offense intended, just will switch brands.

Just how big a boy are you? Sounds like you get it tight then deform the gasket with the filter wrench.

If that is not the case, check your sealing surface for imperfections.

The 48E (and 63E) when not tightened properly or over tightened do leak, it crushes the o-ring. We see this a few times a month at work.

The o ring is not on the filter land. I tighten as tight as I can by hand, then one quarter turn more with wrench.

This is your problem in the bold. You should by hand tighten it until the gasket touches the mating surface, then tighten it no more than 1 full turn with a filter wrench or cup.

#15-00-90-001: Diagnostic Tips for Preventing Oil Leaks After Changing Oil and Filter - (Mar 6, 2015)

Improperly Torqued Oil Filter

Notice: An oil filter that is insufficiently tightened or overtightened may contribute to an oil leak. It is critical that the proper torque is applied to the oil filter to prevent leaks from occurring.

1. Remove the oil pan drain plug and drain the oil into a suitable container.
  2. Remove the oil filter.
  3. Visually ensure that the oil filter gasket is still on the oil filter that was just removed.
    • If the oil filter gasket is not on the oil filter that was just removed, then remove the old gasket from the engine side of the oil filter gasket sealing surface. Go to Step 4.

Notice: Typical view of the engine side of the oil filter gasket sealing surface (1).

1. Clean and remove any dirt or contamination on the engine side of the oil filter gasket sealing surface (1).
  1. Lubricate the new oil filter gasket with clean engine oil prior to installation.
  1. Install and hand tighten the oil filter until it contacts the engine side of the oil filter gasket sealing surface (1).

Using a suitable marker, mark a reference line/point on the oil filter at the 3 o’clock position (1).

Use an oil filter cup wrench or an equivalent tool to tighten the oil filter 3/4 of a turn from 3 o’clock to the 12 o’clock position (1). DO NOT tighten the oil filter more than one full turn.

Try this and if you still have issues, buy the UPF-48R Ultraguard.

48R has a much stronger O-ring and filter body.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 2

I would check your mounting surface next time the filter is off for any damage or a defect.

I've run nothing but Ac-Delco filters for years and have never had an issue.

Howeve,r it is possible for there to be an issue with the mounting point.

Even dirt or a chunk of gasket could cause a filter to leak.

We had a 2010 Saturn Vue AWD we bought used it had leaking issues with the filter.

It turned out the contact surface was cracked. The good thing was it used an adapter to change the angle of the filter so all I had to do was replace that part and one gasket.

I suspect at some point someone way over tightened the filter and then forced it off cracking it.

The 48E (and 63E) when not tightened properly or over tightened do leak, it crushes the o-ring. We see this a few times a month at work.

This is your problem in the bold. You should by hand tighten it until the gasket touches the mating surface, then tighten it no more than 1 full turn with a filter wrench or cup.

+1

The vast majority of my filters (and my parents vehicles) since the late 70s have been AC & never a leak. I've used WIX when AC obsoleted a longer filter I used. the filters have been large OD (PF35) & the various pop can & baby food jar sizes.

I turn by hand until the oiled o ring touches & then tighten 3/4 to 1 turn.

• Like 1

Switch to a different filter and if the problem persists then you are over tightening them. As stated above and on some of the oil filter boxes, tighten until gasket touches surface and then turn 3/4 to 1 full turn more.

If you want to try an AMSOIL filter let me know and I can get you a cost delivered to your door.

• Like 2

Switch to a different filter and if the problem persists then you are over tightening them. As stated above and on some of the oil filter boxes, tighten until gasket touches surface and then turn 3/4 to 1 full turn more.

If you want to try an AMSOIL filter let me know and I can get you a cost delivered to your door.

Lets just be honest the AC Delco Ecore is straight garbage.....How much for 5.3L gasser Amsoil Filter to my door? Phoenix, AZ