Which Engine Oil (conventional or synthetic)

4 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Don't look now Cliff but we are singing the same song. In fact in my entire ranting the point has been "watch your six". 

BTW you do know that Pennzoil is part of Royal Dutch Shell, right? Which is also the Quaker label. Whack a Mole. :smash:

****************************************************************************************************

Quote from an earlier post of yours: A "lot of commercial truckers" is a relative comment.  There are over 2.5 million commercial trucks in the U.S and it is doubtful that 1% of them are running full synthetic motor oils.

So "it is doubtful" carries more weight than "a lot of"? How...exactly? I'm fairly certain that Shell is indeed selling all the Rotella T6 Full Synthetic they manufacture. Is that certain enough for you?

Yes, and that it has close affiliation with Saudi oil concerns.

On 11/6/2017 at 6:19 AM, powerhaulic said:

I will be using Delvac

Delvac is a solid choice.  I did a run of the Delvac Extreme syn blend CK-4 when it came out and was favorably impressed.  I normally use Schaeffer,, but if I wasn't, I would have no problem using Delvac.  I like the level of Moly and Boron it uses in that formulation.  A very stout oil package.

Delvac is good stuff.  Just get yourself a premium filter.  That's far more important than the brand name of oil you are using.  I use NAPA Platinum/wix.  There are a few other choices out there as well that will work well. 

• Like 1

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Another oil thread....:lurk:

Mobil Delvac 1300 combined with a PF2232 AC filter and you shouldn't have oil related concerns.    Personally ran this combo on my 05 LLY and 2011 LML Duramax trucks.  Based on my recommendation, friends have used same combo on 09 LMM, 2012 LML, 2015 LML and a 2018 L5P Denali.  They have never experienced any issues on their trucks.  OLM is used to determine when to change oil.  Noticed the Duramax engine is quieter using Delvac 1300 compared to Rotella, or Delo.   

When Wally World runs a special the 2.5 gallon (10qt) jug is priced at $26.97.  

YMMV

Edited by Lgetz
Inserted special price
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know that it seems a little weak to some, but I have grown very fond of the 10w30 diesel oils.  All the heavy diesels are factory filled and recommending 10w30 oils.  There is nothing special about a Dmax or what it is doing that it could not also use a 10w30.  I find that the 10w30 tends to stay more in grade over an oil change interval.  Only averages about 2 psi less on pressure than a 40 weight. 

Keep in mind, pressure is a measure of how hard the oil is to pump thru the system.   A 40 weight offers more resistance to flow than a 30 weight.  When one of the newer motors with more uniform clearances is working,  a higher resistance to flow may not be a benefit.  That is why every heavy diesel engine manufacturer is recommending 30 weight oils now.  And those engines are moving up to 80,000 lb of truck and cargo and doing it from Canada to the Rio Grande, from coast to coast. 

My factory remanned Detroit 60, one of the "old school" engines, now just turned over 910,000 miles on the reman and I have used 10w30 in it for the majority of it's life.  Only uses 2 qt of oil in 22,500 mile oil changes.  Every HD Cummins, Volvo, Paccar, Navistar, etc is factory filled with 10w30.  it is the new standard. There is no effective argument anymore for using a 40 weight oil.  

On 11/1/2018 at 10:58 AM, EXSlider400 said:

Rotella T6 full synthetic is only a buck more per gallon (and says reduces turbocharger deposits) than the T5 blend at Walmart. Going with the 5W-40 and a Wix filter.  

Regarding the "turbocharger deposits", that sounds like marketing nonsense targeted at those who have limited understanding of modern engine setups to get them to buy a product.   Many modern turbochargers are water cooled nowadays.  Certainly, all the pickup diesels now have water cooled turbochargers.  Even a modern conventional oil does not coke up in turbocharger bearings as in decades gone by.    Hundreds of thousands of commercial trucks go hundreds of thousands of miles each using conventional and basic syn blend motor oils with no turbocharger deposit issues.   All I have used is a syn blend in mine and it has 910,000 miles on the motor and still has original turbo.  And it is the traditional non water cooled variety.  A Borg Warner 171702.   At what point would turbocharger deposits be an issue for me?  At 2 million miles?  

Edited by Cowpie

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 7:42 PM, Cowpie said:

I know that it seems a little weak to some, but I have grown very fond of the 10w30 diesel oils.  All the heavy diesels are factory filled and recommending 10w30 oils.  There is nothing special about a Dmax or what it is doing that it could not also use a 10w30.  I find that the 10w30 tends to stay more in grade over an oil change interval.  Only averages about 2 psi less on pressure than a 40 weight. 

Keep in mind, pressure is a measure of how hard the oil is to pump thru the system.   A 40 weight offers more resistance to flow than a 30 weight.  When one of the newer motors with more uniform clearances is working,  a higher resistance to flow may not be a benefit.  That is why every heavy diesel engine manufacturer is recommending 30 weight oils now.  And those engines are moving up to 80,000 lb of truck and cargo and doing it from Canada to the Rio Grande, from coast to coast. 

My factory remanned Detroit 60, one of the "old school" engines, now just turned over 910,000 miles on the reman and I have used 10w30 in it for the majority of it's life.  Only uses 2 qt of oil in 22,500 mile oil changes.  Every HD Cummins, Volvo, Paccar, Navistar, etc is factory filled with 10w30.  it is the new standard. There is no effective argument anymore for using a 40 weight oil.  

What is interesting is how far are manufactures going to go in what oil they recommend?  GM with their new baby Dmax in the 1500 that is coming out this spring is running a dexos 2 0w-20 oil.  It is going to be a hard sell to the die hard diesel owners out there to run that oil spec.