• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cubangt

cubangt

Enthusiast

• 90 posts
  • Drives:2015 Silverado Crew Cab LT 5.3

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

I bought some 8" LED bars to add under my bumper in the back  and wire to reverse light so i can see. I have already been under the back and found place to mount and was considering the following harness connector to take the factory setup and add 1 additional 4 pole harness

Has anyone used this method, does it work.. 

https://www.etrailer...cleid=201521379

With the extra 4 pole, i can wire my LED's thru use of a relay with a 4 pole harness and connect to the extra giving me ability to turn them on when in reverse.

Also looking to possible add a switch to manually control when out camping, driveway or whatever other possible need without being in reverse.

Is this possible? has anyone done this and have good or bad feedback on doing it this way.

I was hoping to find a solution that required no splicing..

2015 Silverado LT 5.3 Crew Cab
Current Mods: Tint(limo back, 25% front), Flowmaster 40 series, resonator removed and dumped over the axle, N-Fab Nerf Bars, K&N CAI, Blacked out Emblems
Future Mods: Bed liner, Bed lighting, Factory Remote start, interior light kit, 4" Suspension Lift. Possibly do the folding mirrors and upgrade the 4" mylink to the 8" touch screen(undecided on these right now)

#2 rully1012

rully1012

Enthusiast

• 143 posts
  • Name:Ral
  • Drives:JKU/RZR/DENALI

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:47 PM

I thought about doing the same thing... My thoughts were splicing in a diode in reverse bias to block current when your separate reverse switch is turned on and keep you from back feeding the reverse circuit or bcm. Haven't gotten around to it yet but will someday... I'm subscribed to see what ideas others have

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

#3 powerhaulic

powerhaulic

Old Wrench

• 535 posts
  • Drives:2017 6.2 Sierra Crew

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:31 PM

I installed one to power my full function tail light bar, works perfect.

Full width of box under tailgate, running, turns, brake, and reverse lights.

2017 Sierra Crew 6.2 Max tow                 2011 Yukon Denali XL

2008 Savana AWD van         2004 silverado 5.3 3.73         1995 2500 Suburban 454             1984 3500 454 K30               1971 C10 SWB Cheyenne Super

#4 cubangt

cubangt

Enthusiast

• 90 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 08:24 AM

Is there a specific diode to use? Or does it have to be calculated to determine? If so, how is that determined?

Current Mods: Tint(limo back, 25% front), Flowmaster 40 series, resonator removed and dumped over the axle, N-Fab Nerf Bars, K&N CAI, Blacked out Emblems
Future Mods: Bed liner, Bed lighting, Factory Remote start, interior light kit, 4" Suspension Lift. Possibly do the folding mirrors and upgrade the 4" mylink to the 8" touch screen(undecided on these right now)

#5 ChevyRoofer

ChevyRoofer

Enthusiast

• 827 posts
  • Drives:2016 LTZ Z71 CCSB 4x4 Midnight Edition

Posted 20 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

Used the connector for my LD tailgate bar, but haven't dealt with that headache you're going after

2016 Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 4x4 CCSB Midnight Edition

BlackBear Performance 87/89 tune, Fox 2.0 Front Coilovers & 2.0 Rear Shocks, BakFlip MX4, Putco Switchblade LED Tailgate Bar, Black Borla S-Type Exhaust, Kicker PowerStage Amp & Sub, Elite E2-X Catch Can & CSS, Air Raid MIT, Valentine One Radar V 3.8952 & V1 Connection Hardwired w/ Blendmount.

Future Mods: 275/70/18 10-ply E-rated KO2

#6 Ray1982

Ray1982

Enthusiast

• 81 posts
  • Name:Ray T.
  • Drives:2015 crew cab Z71 tungsten metallic

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

I crimp connected to a wire at the 7-way trailer plug for this exact thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 cubangt

cubangt

Enthusiast

• 90 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:18 PM

I crimp connected to a wire at the 7-way trailer plug for this exact thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a pic of how you did it?  I mean i think the t-connector 7 blade to 4 pole harness will accomplish the same thing without the need cutting into factory wires.. Just want to make sure i have everything i need before i begin

#8 cubangt

cubangt

Enthusiast

• 90 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:12 AM

I went ahead and ordered the t connector harness to see if that works, need to calculate the diode needed for the install so i can order that as well.. 

#9 14tungstenLT

14tungstenLT

Enthusiast

• 464 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:35 AM

i also used one for a tailgate light bar. worked perfectly.  

2014 Silverado 1500 LT - 4x4 - airaid - dynomax vt - http://www.gm-trucks...ighting project

#10 arcasey

arcasey

Enthusiast

• 288 posts
  • Drives:2015 GMC Sierra Denali 5.3L; 1996 Chevy K1500

Posted 21 June 2017 - 01:20 PM

You could use two relays and accomplish the same task without having to plug into you trailer harness plug and you would have a switch to turn the lights on and off when you wanted.

#11 cubangt

cubangt

Enthusiast

• 90 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:34 PM

The plan is to always have them turn on when in reverse.. BUT if possible, also add a switch to control manually in other occasions, like while camping or off road somewhere(very rare for these) but like to be prepared. 

#12 rully1012

rully1012

Enthusiast

• 143 posts
  • Name:Ral
  • Drives:JKU/RZR/DENALI

Posted 21 June 2017 - 03:37 PM

You could do it with with 2 relays one would need contacts that has normally open and normally closed contacts or use the diode method. Diode sizing doesn't have to be exact because you are using it in reverse bias so you would just need to make sure it's can take the 12volts and the current of the lightbar draw...when I get off of work I'll see if I could help you out with choosing a diode

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Edited by rully1012, 21 June 2017 - 03:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users