97 silverado

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 albur

albur

Enthusiast

• 12 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

Hi, I have a problem I can't seem to find any info. on & was hoping to find some help here. On my 97 K1500, the vent tube on top of the rearend has rotted off & I can't tell if it's threaded in or not. I have looked on numerous sites for a replacement tube & they have them for other makes but nothing for Chevy. I don't want to do any drilling without knowing what size or how they're put in. I would appreciate any advice-Thank you

#2 marcz

marcz

Enthusiast

• 1 posts
  • Drives:1998 Chevy Cheyenne K2500

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:34 PM

Hello, I just replaced mine in my '98 Cheyenne K2500.  In my case, I purchased a new one at the local dealer.  It is a press fit with ridges covered in a red sealing material.   I drilled the old one out with a drill slightly larger than the hole and increased the bit size until it spun out of the axle.   I then used a socket to press it in.

#3 Daly

Daly

Enthusiast

• 433 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Drives:1991 Chevy C2500

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:10 PM

I had this problem on my 2000 Z71. In my case where the vent tube was, was completely rotted away and plugged up. I went the cheap easy way and pulled the plug where you check the fluid level, put a street elbow in there and an adapter to a vent tube. It's obviously gerry rigged, but it works.

1991 Blue C2500 Silverado - Canuck 4" lift...

2000 Silverado Z71 - 5.3, white, stock for now DD...

1969 Coronet - 440, 727, driving project…

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users