Floor mat clips broke this happen to anybody?

The little clip that holds the mat down broke off in under two months on my new 2017. I do take the mats out almost daily sometime twice a day this Denali is a work truck so the mats get dirty and I dump em and clean em.

It is a bad design on GM's part that clip that has to be tugged on pretty hard to get the mat released and it is only clipped on to a thin piece of carpet.

Either way I still got my bumper to bumper and also purchased the extra dealer warranty for the interior rips stains and all that.

Just sharing and wondering if anyone else had the same problem.f51be6ad43e072781e34fd2bf6e74d6d.jpgfc656687376ce581da855c21543c4b0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I'm not sure about that being covered under warranty. This damage is effectively from an aftermarket floor mat. I know our dealer wouldn't warrant that. But you may get lucky, especially if you complain enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya it looks like the carpet is torn. But I also think you may be doing it wrong. I know that sounds weird to say that you're taking a floor mat out wrong. But with those clips you should hold your finger on the clip so you're only pulling on the floor mat when removing it. It just sounds like from your post that you pretty much force the mats off of the clip.

I do take the mats out almost daily sometime twice a day

Well you put that little clip through about 10 lifetimes of work already compared to the average user.

I know they are flimsy, when i pulled mine out ( I think twice now) I was very careful to hold onto the clip so i'm not forcing it.

I'll root for you to get it fixed under warantey though.

Well you put that little clip through about 10 lifetimes of work already compared to the average user.

I know they are flimsy, when i pulled mine out ( I think twice now) I was very careful to hold onto the clip so i'm not forcing it.

I'll root for you to get it fixed under warantey though.

I'm sure I have but I'm but i'm not going to be driving around with mud cakes on my mat that accumulate everyday.

I have the dealer warranty that covers those things so even if it isn't covered in the bumper to bumper that will cover it. It's just such a pita to leave my truck and pick it up. I honestly could probally just sew the piece of carpet back but we will see.

I am careful about removing my mats. I push the button when pulling the mats up I think 99% of the damage came from my car wash place that just rips the mats out.

Lookslikethe carpet strip that the clip connects to is ripped. You can try the dealer but i bet they tell you "sorry". Mine ripped, i just glued it with super glue.

That sounds like a plan i might just glue it or sew it doesnt even seem like it is something worth leaving my truck at the dealership all day for.

Edit: just ordered some curved upholstery needles off amazon. I have a feeling i will be fixing the other one soon.

I will pop the mats off myself ,with care, before going in the car wash from here on out.

Edited by wildlyfe200

I'm sure I have but I'm but i'm not going to be driving around with mud cakes on my mat that accumulate everyday.

I have the dealer warranty that covers those things so even if it isn't covered in the bumper to bumper that will cover it. It's just such a pita to leave my truck and pick it up. I honestly could probally just sew the piece of carpet back but we will see.

I am careful about removing my mats. I push the button when pulling the mats up I think 99% of the damage came from my car wash place that just rips the mats out.

They won't cover this unfortunately. I process warranty transactions for my dealer through GM and almost every aftermarket warranty offered by dealers as "extra" protection. Sounds good when it's sold to you, but it doesn't cover stuff like this because it's the same coverage guidelines as GM's bumper to bumper. All it does is extend your mileage for things covered under the warranty. The dealer could technically send it through, but if your carpet is called for by the parts quality center, that dealer risks a debit back to their service dept for a fraudulent warranty claim. Edited by Justin101714

They won't cover this unfortunately. I process warranty transactions for my dealer through GM and almost every aftermarket warranty offered by dealers as "extra" protection. Sounds good when it's sold to you, but it doesn't cover stuff like this because it's the same coverage guidelines as GM's bumper to bumper. All it does is extend your mileage for things covered under the warranty. The dealer could technically send it through, but if your carpet is called for by the parts quality center, that dealer risks a debit back to their service dept for a fraudulent warranty claim.

I dont think you know what warranty i am talking about. It is not an extended warranty it is for rim damage, seats interior rips tears stains, windshield, paintless dent repair. Not sure what they call it but it is no cost to repair anything like that at my dealership and $100 deductible at any other dealership.

The little clip that holds the mat down broke off in under two months on my new 2017. I do take the mats out almost daily sometime twice a day this Denali is a work truck so the mats get dirty and I dump em and clean em.

It is a bad design on GM's part that clip that has to be tugged on pretty hard to get the mat released and it is only clipped on to a thin piece of carpet.

Either way I still got my bumper to bumper and also purchased the extra dealer warranty for the interior rips stains and all that.

Just sharing and wondering if anyone else had the same problem.f51be6ad43e072781e34fd2bf6e74d6d.jpgfc656687376ce581da855c21543c4b0d.jpg

Yikes, my fear would be if dealer fixes under warranty, they will have to "gut" the interior to replace the carpet, assuming that it is a one piece design. Have you thought about gluing/epoxy the tab to the floor of the truck?

• Like 1

Yikes, my fear would be if dealer fixes under warranty, they will have to "gut" the interior to replace the carpet, assuming that it is a one piece design. Have you thought about gluing/epoxy the tab to the floor of the truck?

I am surprised that is not how it is done in the first place. The only problem is there is a wire and a grommet directly below it exiting the cab.

I am surprised that is not how it is done in the first place. The only problem is there is a wire and a grommet directly below it exiting the cab.

Probably adds cost and complexity to production, which GM doesn't like.

I always hold my hand between the clip and the mat to prevent this. Seems like it would tear after a few times otherwise

Same here! I had a fear of this happening so I put two fingers around the base then pull

Edited by BlueTopaz14