Mylink 8" radio issues.

I am having some issues with my 2015 Silverado LT Mylink radio. So far this issue has happened to me twice.

What happens is I turn the vehicle on and the screen looks and acts normal like it is playing music either through FM, or USB Flash Drive or Bluetooth or phone via USB but I can not hear anything.

When I try to use the volume knob on the dash or steering wheel it will not work and the volume will not change it is still silent. The volume indicator on the dash cluster stops showing in blue but shows up yellow for the voice command volume even though I am not using voice command. The Dash screen will not even show that I am turning the volume knob. here is a video after I parked. Here the radio will turn on but I can not get Bluetooth, USB memory stick or phone via USB to work.

854b834f635c7cdb7bbff0b3b719f1a3.jpg

I got this message on mine yesterday. I turned on the truck and hooked up my cellphone too quick on the usb (center console) for screen to react; I was also pressing spotify on both screen and cellphone and then screen goes black. Drove out with it and then that message pops. Then back to black then again the message. Got back home and turned off the truck. Locked and let it sit for 30 mins while i read and watched videos online on how to fix it. Came back to try a trick from youtube which said to push the steering command button or disconnect battery. Before though i put the key in and bammm fixed itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

854b834f635c7cdb7bbff0b3b719f1a3.jpg

I got this message on mine yesterday. I turned on the truck and hooked up my cellphone too quick on the usb (center console) for screen to react; I was also pressing spotify on both screen and cellphone and then screen goes black. Drove out with it and then that message pops. Then back to black then again the message. Got back home and turned off the truck. Locked and let it sit for 30 mins while i read and watched videos online on how to fix it. Came back to try a trick from youtube which said to push the steering command button or disconnect battery. Before though i put the key in and bammm fixed itself.

Wow! That is awesome that it fixed its self!

So update on the issue. Before I brought it to the dealer I disconnected the battery for 30mins as suggested and the problem remained.

I then brought it to the dealer and they did a radio recalibration and updated it with the latest software. This is what is on the invoice. "165 updated program - 96449 ISP... Programmed radio with latest software WCC 80D91"

It has been working fine since! I'm a little upset with my dealer because they are trying to blame the issues on my kicker vss soundstage amp and sub which I bought from the parts department with a gm part # and had it installed at the dealer! This sounds like a software issue not an external amp or sub issue lol.

Edited by Alexantics
  • Like 1

So update on the issue. Before I brought it to the dealer I disconnected the battery for 30mins as suggested and the problem remained.

I then brought it to the dealer and they did a radio recalibration and updated it with the latest software. This is what is on the invoice. "165 updated program - 96449 ISP... Programmed radio with latest software WCC 80D91"

It has been working fine since! I'm a little upset with my dealer because they are trying to blame the issues on my kicker vss soundstage amp and sub which I bought from the parts department with a gm part # and had it installed at the dealer! This sounds like a software issue not an external amp or sub issue lol.

Of course they would blame it on the amp. But its good they did the update. I was hoping mine would update itself since I pay for the data plan but that didn't happen. Haven't had any issues anymore thank goodness

• Like 1

I'm be pissed too if they blamed a GM part available through their parts department and had installed in their shop. I realize the sub/amp isn't made by GM, but obviously they have "approved" it for their trucks or it wouldn't be on their website or dealerships wouldn't be installing them either.

• Like 1

This thing is GMs worst ever. My GMC went bonkers at 100k. This one has Onstar and no visual maps, can't use phone and iPod same time to name a few issues. Probably the first thing I replace after3/36. POJ

I am suprised you can get your iPod to work in your truck! I could not get my iPod or my girl friends ipod to work at all. They said that the iPods would not work because have traditional hard disc memory and that the mylink system is only designed to work with flash memory! I have to admit that my iphone works flawlessly playing music via bluetooth or plugged in via usb.

Making phone calls and answering them with the trucks bluetooth is another story :banghead::banghead:

When I make a call the phone and truck say I am on the bluetooth then the radio turns back on and the phone is back to headset :banghead: making it seem like I am butt dialing every time I call someone. Drives me flipping crazy! :freak:

My iPod works like crap as well, it goes into shuffle on its own shows the wrong song on the display ect. If you look at the list of compatible devices you will see they are all old iPods. This system needs an update big time. I had a 2014 and it worked way better than the 2017 I have now. I am not happy with the stereo in this truck at all. GM should be embarrassed to have released a product like that!

• 3 years later...

I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. This is a great truck but the MYLink 8" infotainment system is garbage ! Apparently GM has been fully aware of the numerous problems with this system since 2014 and will do absolutely nothing to correct it.

Because my warranty has expired this is now an out of pocket expense to have it corrected. I see on several web forums that even though you can have it corrected the fix is short lived and you are back to having issues with this system.

I pay for Sirius Radio that I can not longer use and if so, It is sporadic. 

This is what is happening with my system......when I go out in the morning and start my truck the system is locked on 87.9 FM. What is strange about this is I never listen to FM because I pay for Sirius radio. The pre-set Sirius stations are visible at the bottom so I can select the station. I then go in an correct the time / date settings and everything is good till I shut off the truck. When this is done the system reverts back to 87.9 FM and none of the functions work (volume, station change, etc.) I cannot get it to go back to Sirius Radio till the following day because the truck will have been sitting for hours ?? When the system works ..it works fine but when it doesn't... nothing works and this is every day !!!  

I have tried every "quick fix" available on YouTube and they work for about 1/2 day and then I am back to having the same issues. 

I shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars to fix something ( and possibly still have issues later on) that GM has been fully aware of since 2014 and read on web forums that customers are still having issue with their Chevrolet MyLink systems on 2020 trucks ?????

What does it take to get this huge problem corrected ??

• 7 months later...
On 2/2/2021 at 4:10 AM, David Gardiner said:

I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab. This is a great truck but the MYLink 8" infotainment system is garbage ! Apparently GM has been fully aware of the numerous problems with this system since 2014 and will do absolutely nothing to correct it.

Because my warranty has expired this is now an out of pocket expense to have it corrected. I see on several web forums that even though you can have it corrected the fix is short lived and you are back to having issues with this system.

I pay for Sirius Radio that I can not longer use and if so, It is sporadic. 

This is what is happening with my system......when I go out in the morning and start my truck the system is locked on 87.9 FM. What is strange about this is I never listen to FM because I pay for Sirius radio. The pre-set Sirius stations are visible at the bottom so I can select the station. I then go in an correct the time / date settings and everything is good till I shut off the truck. When this is done the system reverts back to 87.9 FM and none of the functions work (volume, station change, etc.) I cannot get it to go back to Sirius Radio till the following day because the truck will have been sitting for hours ?? When the system works ..it works fine but when it doesn't... nothing works and this is every day !!!  

I have tried every "quick fix" available on YouTube and they work for about 1/2 day and then I am back to having the same issues. 

I shouldn't have to pay hundreds of dollars to fix something ( and possibly still have issues later on) that GM has been fully aware of since 2014 and read on web forums that customers are still having issue with their Chevrolet MyLink systems on 2020 trucks ?????

What does it take to get this huge problem corrected ??

I have a 2017 Chevy 2500 HD Crewcab, and my radio also is a nightmare. The radio comes on at high volume everytime my GPS (Google Maps) gives directions or when I get a text or FB message. Its insane that we are having these issues. Also the bluetooth disconnects randomly and I have to stop the truck, turn it off and wait for it to connect again. Also the bluetooth sometime says its connected to my laptop, but it doesnt work and the screen freezes. Seriously, HATE this radio, it has brought me so much frustration to my life. Its absolute garbage.

23 hours ago, Ivan Alexander said:

I have a 2017 Chevy 2500 HD Crewcab, and my radio also is a nightmare. The radio comes on at high volume every time my GPS (Google Maps) gives directions or when I get a text or FB message. Its insane that we are having these issues. Also the bluetooth disconnects randomly and I have to stop the truck, turn it off and wait for it to connect again. Also the bluetooth sometime says its connected to my laptop, but it doesnt work and the screen freezes. Seriously, HATE this radio, it has brought me so much frustration to my life. Its absolute garbage.

Not sure what could be going with yours.
Indeed, message notifications and alerts via CarPlay can be loud but I don't know of a way to correct it.
In my older car, with a Pioneer MVH aftermarket head unit, there was an option to control the iPhone message and alert volume, as well as Nav separate from the head unit media volume.
I have yet to find this ability with the current head unit on a stock Silverado.

Edited by MikeBMW

5 minutes ago, MikeBMW said:

Not sure what could be going with yours.
Indeed, message notifications and alerts via CarPlay can be loud but I don't know of a way to correct it.
In my older car, with a Pioneer MVH aftermarket head unit, there was an option to control the iPhone message and alert volume, as well as Nav separate from the head unit media volume.
I have yet to find this ability with the current head unit on a stock Silverado.

Just curious because I do not know the answer, but have you tried turning down the volume on the phone, rather than the truck's radio volume? 

I know that you need to find a happy spot on the iPod (yes, I still like my iPod, rather than my phone) for the volume if you are using it for the media source. Then you can go up or down without being to over bearing from the start.

• Like 1