S10 - 4 Piston Calipers???

I didn't see an section for S10, so...

I've got a 2003 S-10 extended cab, 2 whl drive, 4.3L auto that I'd like to put 4 piston calipers on for a little better breaking

It's the standard LS model but I do have the ZQ8 5 slot wheels

Anybody know of any after market manufacturer making calipers to fit my truck?... or, is there any OE GM calipers that maybe came on other GM vehicles that would work?

I found the Wilwood D-154 Brake Caliper Set but it shows to only fit "1997-2002 S10 Pickup, 4 x 2 with Rear Drum Brakes"

Since mine is a 2003 it should fit mine too... but I thought I'd ask just in case there is something different after 2002 that would make these not work.

Looking for any input from someone who has looked in to this... thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

We converted my buddy's to a blazer set up with dual pistons not 4 stops so much better. Was cheap too. Gotta switch knuckles and gives you a hub bearing set up rather than the stupid bearings that are on them at least on his 98 they were dumb.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

After further investigation, Wilwood does have a 4 caliper set for S-10s as well as other older GM vehicles that are bolt on replacements for the original calipers.

They're only about $400 and it's direct bolt on which saves me time. I'm going to get some drilled and slotted rotors too along with new master cylinder, braided brake lines and new wheel cylinders / drums for the back to re-work the entire brake system.

I'll be ready for another 10 years after that!

• 1 month later...

For the money invested in 4 having piston calipers for the ability in stopping better will be minimal at best. I would focus in another direction by having a better composition brake pads (higher braking coefficient) and a higher quality rotors (higher carbon / or ceramic composition rotors) placed on the front / rear (or possibly rear if you have 4 wheel disc). In my case, I changed out the rear drum brakes with a factory rear disc brake system (Jimmy). If you have rear drum brakes, your wasting your money on front 4 piston calipers, go for 4 wheel disc stopping power. You do not have to make any changes to ABS, master cylinder or any proportioning valves. My truck stops like a sports car.

I also own a Chevy Colorado with 5.3L V8 and ZQ8 Suspension and it came from the factory with 4 piston front disc brakes and rear drums brakes and is stops WAY better than the S10.

At this point I'll go with GM's thinking that this is no a bad setup since hopefully their engineers know what they are doing. I won't actually be wasting my time...

Sure rear disc may stop a little better (considering high end performance vehicles come with this setup) but at this point it's cheaper to spend a little on dual piston calipers, performance pads, and rotors.

I'll make sure the rear drums are adjusted nice and tight and it'll stop considerably better that what I have now.

The Colorado and the S10 are two completely different trucks. Look at the most advance / higher end braking systems. Manufacturers will use 4 wheel disc before going into 4 piston front calipers with drum brakes (another GM goofball mistake). Whether 2 piston or 4 piston, the applied hydraulic pressure is still the same (simple physics). As I said earlier is comes down to the composition of the brake / rotor materials, not how many pistons you have (that is the coefficient of friction formula). Any automotive engineer will tell you a 4 wheel disc system is far more superior compared to any disc / drum combination. I wish you lived near by so you could do a few 60 m.p.h. panic stop comparisons with your Colorado to my Sonoma to see actually what brake and rotor compounds can do. I myself also have the ZQ 8 package along with 4 wheel high carbon cross-drilled rotors / ceramic pad package. With the crazy short yellow stop lights we have in the Detroit area it's necessary to stop in short distances or are local cops will bust you for principal. Any braking system engineer will tell you drum brakes are the worst (which you have). If you gonna spend any money, eliminate the drums and go for rear discs. Your wallet will learn the hard way on the 4 piston route. FYI: I live half way between the GM proving Grounds, Milford Michigan and the GM Tech Center in Warren Michigan. I have a little bit of experience (36 years) with automotive development. I'm one of those gear heads that's been in the neighborhood.

Any automotive engineer will tell you a 4 wheel disc system is far more superior compared to any disc / drum combination

And yet, they did this on numerous vehicles so it must not be a bad thing. If it were they would not have done it. I'm not accusing the GM engineering team of not knowing what they are doing.

Another reason I'm going to do this is simply because I want to and I will actually have a little better braking action on par with my Colorado.

Thanks for sharing your opinion. As soon as I get a bunch more money I'll re-work the entire S-10 (which is just a work truck now), but until then the 4 piston calipers will work just fine along with performance pads and rotors. Thanks.

Just a little footnote /or homework assignment. There are at least 10 times the number of 4 wheel disc systems (GM and non GM vehicles) compared to 4 piston caliper / drum systems. 4 piston calipers were use for the wheel package issues, Single piston calipers have a much taller profile compared to 4 piston models. See if at least you can get a "police level performance" pad if you need braking improvement. But remember the police rated pad will chew up any rotor. Find out if the police vehicles use 4 piston front calipers.

Archived