Buy now or wait until 2019?

Long time follower, first time poster. I've been keeping up with the site for a while now and first off want to say thank you to all those who contribute and help provide great information. I'm in the market for a new truck, but not sure which model year to go with. My 2003 has treated me exceptionally well but about ready for an upgrade and have some questions.

The K2 Future Vehicle forum is dead so figured I'd ask some questions here. Realizing there is very little public yet about the redesigned 2019, what are the thoughts on buying now vs.. waiting for what the new 2019 models? What is the general consensus on powertrain options for 2019 or is it too early to tell yet? I hear nothing but great things about the 6.2 / 8 speed, but wondering what the engine / transmission options will be for 2019 and if it's worth holding out another year and a half? I'm also not a fan of the start/stop technology Ford is using in their 2018 and thinking GM may do the same which may tip the scales.

If you were in the market for a new truck would you wait until 2019 or buy a 2017 / 2018? Welcome any thoughts and comments.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm bought a used 2014 and put zero down so I could get a 2019 when they're out assuming I like them ...people say first year models are bad but I've never had too many issues.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

it's all about the "CASH" son? Today you have it tomorrow maybe not? I have a 2016 GMC SLT and it just makes every other truck owner I stick in there quiet! Nobody says anything cause they know what they are sitting in "Freaking Sweet truck" You get 10-12K off right now GO GET ONE OF THOSE NEW FRONT END CHEVYS WITH 8SPEED! Then when the new models are out for a few years and getting older get you that ONE! I am looking at 2022 can't wait for that beauty!

it's all about the "CASH" son? Today you have it tomorrow maybe not? I have a 2016 GMC SLT and it just makes every other truck owner I stick in there quiet! Nobody says anything cause they know what they are sitting in "Freaking Sweet truck" You get 10-12K off right now GO GET ONE OF THOSE NEW FRONT END CHEVYS WITH 8SPEED! Then when the new models are out for a few years and getting older get you that ONE! I am looking at 2022 can't wait for that beauty!

Are you by chance a radio ad voiceover guy, one that does the yelling ads? This reminds me of radio ads for furniture from my Houston days [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't buy a new makeover 2019 model year GM truck or any first model year vehicle. There are plenty 2017's on the lots now. Go find one on a quiet Sunday morning, write down the stock number, see the salesman during the week, and wring it out on the Interstate for any vibration issues and drive around town and see what you have. Mine was a new leftover and it's been perfect, seven months ownership and I had it to the dealer one time for one of two free oil changes. I have nothing to complain about with my new Silverado.

i believe 18 model will be rolling out in august or sept and 19 will be out early 2018...i might wait

That's my problem, I don't mind waiting but not sure what it is I'm waiting for when it comes to what the 2019 will have to offer. I guess once there's more info available about the 2019 maybe the decision will be easier. Overall length is a major factor too. Current models are 229.5 which would BARELY fit in my garage with maybe 1 -2 inches to spare at best. Anything longer won't work and fitting in the garage is a deal breaker. My 03 is 227 and is darn tight already. Anything longer won't work and fitting in the garage is a deal breaker.

That's my problem, I don't mind waiting but not sure what it is I'm waiting for when it comes to what the 2019 will have to offer. I guess once there's more info available about the 2019 maybe the decision will be easier. Overall length is a major factor too. Current models are 229.5 which would BARELY fit in my garage with maybe 1 -2 inches to spare at best. Anything longer won't work and fitting in the garage is a deal breaker. My 03 is 227 and is darn tight.

That's my problem, I don't mind waiting but not sure what it is I'm waiting for when it comes to what the 2019 will have to offer. I guess once there's more info available about the 2019 maybe the decision will be easier. Overall length is a major factor too. Current models are 229.5 which would BARELY fit in my garage with maybe 1 -2 inches to spare at best. Anything longer won't work and fitting in the garage is a deal breaker. My 03 is 227 and is darn tight.

the 19 will have the 10 speed tranny that gm/ford worked on together and will also be releasing their 1500 diesel! those are the 2 things that make me want to wait

I was able to arrange for an extended test drive on an LTZ. I have an LT. So, look into that so that you have an opportunity to test drive beyond the typical "around the block" tests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interested in the extended test drive. How did you negotiate that, or did you just ask? How extended was is? If I remember correctly didn't GM used to have a 24 hour test drive where you could take it home and test drive for a full day?

Regarding the 10 speed, from what I hear it sounds like a good bet for 2019. But with all the 6 / 8 speed issues how confident do you feel the new 10 speed will not have it's own issues when it first comes out?

If your current ride is still serving you, there's no reason to buy now unless you like the design of the current model. If it were my money i would wait and see what the new model offers. Great deals will be had on the new design as well.

I would not wait for the new model if I was in the market for a truck. It is the same with a computer, cell phone or television. There is always something "better" about to come out! The sooner you buy, the sooner you will be enjoying your new truck!

Dont buy first year anything, and the BIG discounts take a couple years. Next month or 2 should have some really nice values on 6.2, and most of the problems should be worked by now. Look at the chevy special editions like redline or high desert. Next gen should have better mpg, lighter, faster, have more tech (good or bad) but you want to wait till 2020 at least to give em time to work out the real world kinks. 1st year owners are the guinea pigs since they have to be so secret testing the pre production mules. I keep thinking ill get a 2020, but my avy just keeps me happy (and no crew will fit in my garage-deal breaker as well)...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

If your current ride is giving you problems, smokes like a chimney on startup, costing you $200/300 or more in repairs monthly and its 50-50 whether it starts in the morning buy now. Otherwise wait for the new body style. My older brother always tells me don't buy a new car/truck thats never going to look new.(Change of body style)

Archived