Guys;

I have ran into a really strange problem on my new truck. It was a partly cloudy day when I picked my truck up. I had made a concerted effort to walk all the way around and looked at it pretty darn closely and did not see any issues so I drove it home (300 miles one way) After I got home everything still looked pretty good until I washed the truck a couple of times and then I started seeing a halo on the drivers side rear door. Upon closer inspection there is a real light scratch there and what appears to be buffing marks all around it. Best I can figure a heavy coat of wax or something was applied over the area and when I washed it that was partially removed revealing the big ugly paint flaw. It still looks good unless the bright sun is shining on it that is when the terrible buff marks really show up. This 1st pic is in bright sunshine at an angle and you think oh my gosh how could anyone miss this. The 2nd pic is in the shade and the halo disappears completely although you can make out the light scratch if you look closely and know it is there.

post-127028-0-43184300-1497917594_thumb.jpg
post-127028-0-79763700-1498262289_thumb.jpg

I am sick about it and am taking it to a local dealer to see if there is anything they can do. I AM CURIOUS IF ANYONE ELSE HAS EVER HAD THIS ISSUE WITH A BRAND NEW VEHICLE????????

IS IT REALLY POSSIBLE THAT THE FACTORY PAINT HOSPITAL DID THIS????

. Dealer that I bought it from says heck No they did not do that and this truck came to them directly from the factory AND IT was not a dealer trade or anything. The truck had 12 miles on it when I picked it up and has not been out of my sight so I know it was done before I picked it up. Come On Man WTF.

I feel like a good detail guy who knows what he's doing with a buffer could easily get that out.. the dealer should be taking care of that no questions asked... and no, the "lot guys" at the dealer shouldn't be the ones using the buffer lol.

If you're upset with that wait till your paint starts chipping off. The paint on these trucks is super thin and I swear I think a big bug at 75 mph could cause a chip. My 2016 has close to a dozen of them already

Don't take it to a dealer lol chanves are their $10/hour detail boy will make it worse. Any good detailer will tell you never ever go to a dealer for detailing!!

I have the same color as you and experienced this same issue after they put a new bedside on my truck and partly painted the rear door to help blend in the new bedside. You could see buffer trails like crazy. My service advisor at the body shop insisted I bring it back so his "guy who makes a living doing it" could fix it by going over it again.

Anyway, my griots orbital da on speed 6, meguiars yellow foam pad and meguiars ultimate compound and 2 passes later, paint is back to show car quality. Even got rid of the spider web swirls from the dirty towel they probably used to dry my truck.

I had pretty bad swirls after the dealer damaged and repainted my door.

I also picked up a DA polisher and fixed it myself. Just did the whole truck for the first time yesterday

If you send it out for repair use someone who has a reputable auto detailing or paint shop.

If doing it yourself use a DA polisher, quality pads, a polishing compound like Meguiars 205 and follow with a good wax or sealant.

Wouldn't trust a dealership to try and fix those buffer trails.

If you send it out for repair use someone who has a reputable auto detailing or paint shop.

If doing it yourself use a DA polisher, quality pads, a polishing compound like Meguiars 205 and follow with a good wax or sealant.

Wouldn't trust a dealership to try and fix those buffer trails.

Do you think M205 would hve enough cut to fix this? I personally think M105 would be better in this situation. I would also say use Ultimate Compound or Ultimate Polish rather than their professional line -

easier to get and they are very similar products with the consumer line being just a little more friendly with dust etc...

Ski it will probably get the job done with the correct pad on the polisher. You are right that the consumer line might be more user friendly though.

YMMV

Looks like a sideswipe of a soft object that put a horizontal scrape in the clearcoat - then someone gave it a "quickie" hand compound on the front portion with clear coat polish back and forth instead of a light circular motion keeping it wet. No color coat damage, should be able to polish out if done correctly.

If you're upset with that wait till your paint starts chipping off. The paint on these trucks is super thin and I swear I think a big bug at 75 mph could cause a chip. My 2016 has close to a dozen of them already

I've bought quite a few brand new cars/trucks from different manufacturers, Nissan, Mazda, Toyota, Scion, Chevrolet, Infiniti and have joined forums for them as well and on every forum, they've always had someone complaining about the paint being too thin. The paint on the Chevrolet doesn't seem any bit different than all the other cars I've had, even my Wife's Audi and previous BMW had the same kind of paint thickness and experience.

Oh well.

Looks like a sideswipe of a soft object that put a horizontal scrape in the clearcoat - then someone gave it a "quickie" hand compound on the front portion with clear coat polish back and forth instead of a light circular motion keeping it wet. No color coat damage, should be able to polish out if done correctly.

Those are definitely buffer trails from a rotary polisher. Nothing done by hand. Just google "buffer trails" and check out the images. Just done by someone with inexperience or apathy.

Archived