Heat problem on a 1999 gmc serria

I have a 1999 GMC Sierra 5.3 L.When I am driving down the road at 60 to 75 miles per hour the temperature gauge will read around 190 degrees when I turn on the air condition after a while the temperature gauge will start to climb up to about 230 to 235°. Then I will turn the air-conditioned off and the temperature gauge will slowly go back down to about 200°. Can anybody tell me what check for to take care of the temperature problem.

Joe

A few of things to take a look at.

1. This vehicle being 18 years old has probably gathered a good bit of dirt and debris in the AC condenser and radiator fins. Lets get some coil cleaner and give those coils a good cleaning up first.

2. If the coolant has not been changed lets go ahead and drain / change Tstat and add fresh coolant (be sure to air purge the system properly).

3. Next lets have the AC system charge level checked (an overcharged AC system can generate a lot of extra heat that has to be expelled through the condenser coil)

Most likely items 1 and 2 will take care of the issue but believe it or not there are a lot of older AC systems out there that are severely overcharged....I know it is hard to believe lol.

• 4 weeks later...

The radiator was the problem.There was a small hole in the plastic up on top. It would cause radiator fluid to leak out when it was under pressure.

Archived