Can I get a littler throatier sound without any significant MOD

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The answer depends on what you think is a significant mod. Is it the price of parts? or the ability to do it yourself?

Easiest way to make it sound like a truck is to install a new cold air intake tube (see Airaid MIT) and a high performance muffler. You could make both of those happen for around $300 if you were so inclined.

I would like to get a little more of a heavy sound but really don't want to do any major modifications. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

F

See muffler thread linked in my sig - 5.3L covered also..............

:driving:

I just got off the phone with a local GM dealer and I asked them if I cut off the muffler would it void warranty and they told me yes and it might create the truck to run rough because of a back pressure issue but they weren't totally positive about the runnin rough....I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3L and want to do this but I want to know if there actually would be an issue or not and how it all worked out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got off the phone with a local GM dealer and I asked them if I cut off the muffler would it void warranty and they told me yes and it might create the truck to run rough because of a back pressure issue but they weren't totally positive about the runnin rough....I have a 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3L and want to do this but I want to know if there actually would be an issue or not and how it all worked out

Umm....no!

Of course they're going to tell you it will void the warranty. Too void it they would have to prove the mod you did is what caused the problem. When I had my '14 I had everything from the muffler on back removed to put a Flowmaster dual exit muffler put on and the dealership never cared. I also don't think just removing the muffler will cause a back pressure problem. People run straight pipes all the time. There's people on here that has done a muffler delete and nobody has said it ran rough.

I just clamped my flapper open last weekend, significant difference. Before it sounded like plugged catalytic converter, mostly wooshing, high pitched noise, not at all V-8 like. Flapper open, it has a low rumble at start up, and light throttle sounds like a nice small block should. It is still very subdued, and I know it won't be loud enough for many, but for me it at least sounds like a truck, and not a vacuum cleaner. I am not noticing any helicopter noise as many have talked about.

Used picture hanging wire, put through corner hole in square outer bracket, twisted flapper open, wrapped around pipe, tied off against itself. took a few minutes, don't like it, few minutes puts it back to stock.

FYI, my previous truck was 2011 LTZ with 6.2, no flapper or resonator from factory, sounded awesome. (May still remove resonator on 2017, undecided as of now)

Jmiller - I am in the same boat. First new truck like this and am really nervous about mods. It sounds like a real truck when I get on it just a little bit. But when it shifts into another gear that sound just goes away. The slight rumble is actually intoxicating to a degree. Was hoping to find something that provides that low rumble through more than on gear and at idle

Jmiller - I am in the same boat. First new truck like this and am really nervous about mods. It sounds like a real truck when I get on it just a little bit. But when it shifts into another gear that sound just goes away. The slight rumble is actually intoxicating to a degree. Was hoping to find something that provides that low rumble through more than on gear and at idle

yeah man, i know what you mean!! I'm hoping to get some answers about this soon

Archived