Can you direct me to forum re: tow package and exhaust brake use?

I'm apologizing up front. I'm a women whose husband bought a 2016 3500 diesel Sierra to tow a 5th wheel (new for us). We cannot find good information on the tow package and exhaust brake use. Is there a separate forum that would address questions we might have? If so, please advise. If not, I'm posting my "stupid" questions here:

1) engage the tow package ( on end of shift lever) at the very beginning of towing? (we tow 10,600 5th wheel with gooseneck turnover ball hitch).

2) When do appropriately use the exhaust brake? Does it work upon engagement of the lever or only if the brakes are engaged? Use it anytime we go down a steep grade? or Only when towing down a steep grade? What about using cruise control and engaging the exhaust brake lever?

3) Oops, I forgot, I have another question: the integrated braking controller. When and how do you determine the gain that it needs? What setting when not towing? 0? Some place I read that you start out in tow, get up to 30 mph then adjust the gain until it nearly brakes the truck and trailer.

Any help is appreciated. No, the dealer's service dept wasn't any real help.

Thanks so much.

My my. Push the buttons and drive on.

You seem to have the handle on the trailer brake control as well.

If not plugged in it does not matter where the gain is set.

Just don't try and have the trailer stop the truck as well. Trailer brakes are smaller than the trucks

Engage the the tow tow/haul button and the exhaust brake, set the cruise and enjoy the ride.

The exhaust brake works when it determines the operator is wanting to slow the truck. Might be when speed increases above cruise set point on down grade, might be when using the brakes to slow for stop or on downgrade.

It does not 'activate' when the button is turned on -- only activates when it determines it is needed.

Integrated trailer brake setting has no impact when there is no electric brake equipped trailer connected. (it does nothing unless it detects that a trailer is connected)

Trailer Gain Adjustment Procedure
Trailer Gain should be set for a specific trailering condition and must be adjusted anytime vehicle loading, trailer loading, or road surface conditions change.
{Warning Trailer brakes that are over-gained or under-gained may not stop the vehicle and the trailer as intended and can result in a crash. Always follow the instructions to set the Trailer Gain for the proper trailer stopping performance.
Use the following to adjust Trailer Gain for each towing condition:
1. Drive the vehicle with the trailer attached on a level road surface representative of the towing condition and free of traffic at about 32 to 40 km/h (20 to 25 mph) and fully apply the Manual Trailer Brake Apply Lever.
Adjusting Trailer Gain at speeds lower than 32 to 40 km/h (20 to 25 mph) may result in an incorrect gain setting.
2. Adjust the Trailer Gain, using the Trailer Gain Adjustment Buttons, to just below the point of trailer wheel lock-up, indicated by trailer wheel squeal or tire smoke when a trailer wheel locks.
Trailer wheel lock-up may not occur if towing a heavily loaded trailer. In this case, adjust the Trailer Gain to the highest allowable setting for the towing condition.
3. Readjust Trailer Gain anytime vehicle loading, trailer loading, or road surface conditions change or if trailer wheel lock-up is noticed at any time while towing.

• 2 weeks later...

When hooked to a trailer use both tow/haul and exhaust brake.

Set trailer gain to 5 and adjust up/down from there, the trailer brakes should tug on the truck when applied, if you cannot feel them then turn them up.

You do not have to worry about the trailer brakes gain when there is no trailer as there is nothing plugged in for power to go to.

Archived