Automatic Car Washes

Are automatic car washes bad for the truck? I have read that brushless is better, but wanted to see if there was a professional on here that could give me his opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use a a $5 wash quite often. It has brushes, and it has not caused any damage for 5 years. I do wax at least once a year (2x more often). I find the cheapest wash is the best with me doing wheels at home. Clean is good...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Speaking as a former detailer and someone who's spent a lot of time doing paint correction for washing induced swirls, I can tell you that ANY time you wash a vehicle in a non-touchless manner you're adding scratches. The brushes at coin washes are the worst, the brush rolls in an automatic wash are probably a little better.

Best way to perform a (nearly) damage-free wash is to pressure wash very thoroughly and then do a two-bucket wash (with grit guards) from top to bottom. Ideally you have two wash mitts, one that only ever touches the top 2/3 of the vehicle and one that only ever touches the bottom 1/3. Avoid hand drying whenever possible.

The only way to not scratch the paint is the not wash the vehicle.

Forgot to mention, I noticed that my dealership actually had an automatic car wash in the back of their property that they used!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again speaking as a former detailer, I can tell you that almost all dealerships do an AWFUL job cleaning vehicles. There's a running joke in the detailing community about DIS = Dealer Installed Swirls.

I was walking around a Ford showroom today and was shocked to see how bad the paint was on a lot of the vehicles.

I have an unlimited pass that charges a monthly fee. I was super skeptical the first time I took my Iridium Metallic truck through, but shouldn't have been. I've taken my Summit White replacement through twice, no issues.

It's the top-end wash but they have programmed it not to apply tire dressing when I go through (that's not an option if you pay as you enter). Disclaimer. These are franchise businesses, well maintained and <2 years old.

Works well for me.

Archived