Should I run 87 or 89 fuel in my 2017 Silverado 1500 5.3L?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a rabbit hole you will never climb out of. Personally I know these are higher compression engines thanks to direct injection and 89-93 provides a bit better knock protection. People will say the computer will compensate for knock at 87 octane at the cost of a little power we won't notice.

As said above I run 93 and my truck seems to run smoother than it did on 87.

duquephart came to the same conclusion as I after reading lengthy threads previously posted on this topic. I run 89 in my 4.3. You probably won't "notice" a difference but this really doesn't matter. How many notice a difference between brands of oil? Most of us like to know we're doing something we feel is a little better for our trucks and there is evidence that this may help!

I run top-tier 89 in my truck and it delivers the advertised mpg and doesn't knock.

I used to run top-tier 87 in my truck and it delivered the advertised mpg and didn't knock.

See Donstar's comment above. I think that's the answer. For me, anyway.

Hell I feel guilty when I get lazy or cheap and allow the service Dept to use house-brand Dexos oil instead of an advertised "premium."

Only filled up twice so far but have been using top tier 87. Running fine. I always avoid no name fuel. Some say it's all the same but I don't mind paying the extra .5 for Sunoco.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it is a personal decision. You can find articles slamming most choices. My research led me to the conclusion that running 89 octane is not a waste of money. It may not be a necessary expense but you could argue a truck isn't a necessary expense for most!

I'm too lazy to verify this is 100% exact, but the Owners Manual says something like "no less than 87 octane."

I think we equate the more expensive with better quality.

I recognize the arguments and for now am running Exxon or Chevron 89. About $.30/gal more and I drive a lot. I don't think I would ever run 93 - for all the reasons folks here don't run 89.

If I were averaging 15mpg instead of 18-19mpg and gas was $4.00/gal, I am positive I'd be back to 87.

Top tier. That's the take-away. No Chinese tires either.

Archived