DEF tank not filled at dealership on new truck

I have been keeping track of my DEF level ever since I started driving my truck to see how much it was using. I drive 160 miles a day. I have been averaging 1 to 1.5 gallons of DEF per 1000 miles. I just top it off about every other fill up. I use the Blue DEF and have seen no problems so far.

If you run out of DEF just pee in the tank, its just Urea anyway. Boy, the days of my 03 7.3 PSD were the best, no EGR, no catalytic conveter....no emissions at all. Just oil and fuel filter for 320,000 miles. I bought gas this time.

But not really. Do not pee in your DEF tank, read why here!

We have been hearing over and over a comment about Diesel Exhaust Fluid that is particularly frightening ,

Diesel Exhaust fluid is the same as ____ urine

Fill in the blank with any animal you can think of, we have heard it all but most recently , bat and cow urine. We have also heard of people thinking that urinating in their DEF tank will make the engine run. So the common misconception people have about Diesel Exhaust Fluid is that it is made from urine. This is NOT true, and acting upon this idea could cost you thousands of dollars in repairs to your SCR engine. On this blog, some light will be shed on the subject, and we will finally debunk this myth for good.

Those who believe in this myth used deductive reasoning to get to that conclusion , so according to them:

Urine = Urea

Urea+water= Diesel Exhaust Fluid

therefore Urine+ water= Diesel Exhaust Fluid

WRONG

My dealership was really good about filling it during the provided services but after my free services I was not paying dealership prices for DEF. I just added a jug whenever I received the first advisory on the DIC of xxx miles left. My thought process was that even though I didn't fill it I was replenishing it more often and keeping it fresh.

Archived