Tri-mode power steps damaged by shop

Here is a warning that everyone should tell anyone planning to put their truck on a lift. "Watch out for the powersteps they sit lower than the frame"

I had headers and exaust installed at a well known highly rated performance shop and noticed this today when cleaning my truck. There is a corresponding bolt right above the steps that made the hole.

I will be stopping by the shop tomorrow and see what they will do about it. I will not accept nothing short of replacement steps. Less than 2 month old truck.

1885d2bc2b16999476103bfd3b1ceffe.jpg58cbe6fe617c838b3c4f36a67926eb64.jpg48d0b8ce8a7246454f7f66151b6b0762.jpge4bf4f6ccdcebdf2eb28dfc316c6697a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems like a pretty rookie move by the shop if they are that highly rated. I'd be ticked off too. On the flip side, it's hard to tell sometimes with these power steps as they look so flush to the body when recessed. Good for a nice clean look; bad for when a rookie puts in on a lift.

Hope they work with you on replacing these.

Seems like a pretty rookie move by the shop if they are that highly rated. I'd be ticked off too. On the flip side, it's hard to tell sometimes with these power steps as they look so flush to the body when recessed. Good for a nice clean look; bad for when a rookie puts in on a lift.

Hope they work with you on replacing these.

We will see tomarrow. It has been a week since the truck has left the shop I did not notice it untill I washed it today.

I havent even had the first oil change so this truck never saw a lift untill then.

I'm trying to stay calm untill tomarrow morning. I understand how it happened but that is why I went to a place that works on expensive performance cars and not my usual mechanic and also paid a premium.

I understand sh*t happens but when it is due to someone else's negligence they need to make it right.

We will see tomarrow. It has been a week since the truck has left the shop I did not notice it untill I washed it today.

I havent even had the first oil change so this truck never saw a lift untill then.

I'm trying to stay calm untill tomarrow morning. I understand how it happened but that is why I went to a place that works on expensive performance cars and not my usual mechanic and also paid a premium.

I understand sh*t happens but when it is due to someone else's negligence they need to make it right.

There's your issue: They work on performance cars and not on vehicles that would have any sort of running bar haha. Since it sounds like a very reputable business, I think they will work with you on this.

Keep us posted!

There's your issue: They work on performance cars and not on vehicles that would have any sort of running bar haha. Since it sounds like a very reputable business, I think they will work with you on this.

Keep us posted!

Exactly what they said is they do mostly Corvettes, Camaros, and also trucks. I am sure a corvette or camaro can be easily damaged by improper lifting as well.

I think it would be quite difficult to find a performance shop that does only GM trucks. Dont think they would be booming with business. Diesel only, yes. even a local shop that does Ford trucks.

They work they did on the headers, exaust and tune was top notch. No complaints at all.

Have you looked at the underneath of the running boards, are the crushed in any, any damage underneath?

No not at all it. I was almost certain it would have been. But the whole running board will have to be replaced anyway because the top piece of the running board is all one piece the track is right underneath it. I can not find a replacement anywhere except here in the for sale section. I dont even want to know what the dealer wants for them.

No not at all it. I was almost certain it would have been. But the whole running board will have to be replaced anyway because the top piece of the running board is all one piece the track is right underneath it. I can not find a replacement anywhere except here in the for sale section. I dont even want to know what the dealer wants for them.

See if they will get them Line-Xed for you

Stopped by the shop they were really nice about it and accepted responsibility. We are trying to work it out. They can get the steps re-powder coated. If theu were not so nice about it I dont think I would have accepted that.

I could still push for replacment of the steps and I'm sure they would but I dont want to be a d*ck.

I'm going to stop by the dealer anyway and get a price on my way home. I dont even know if they sell the steps separate from the motors. I will see.

See if they will get them Line-Xed for you

That might not be a bad idea. It may actually be better than the slick powder coat. Hmmmm good thinking.

Decided to go with the line-x. I was thinking about doing that anyway before the damage happened becuse the steps have no grip on them. The powder coated aluminum is slick. I got a quote for $300 to do both runners plus $100 to have them taken off and put on but I will do that myself.

Sent the repair shop the quote and I am certian it wont be a problem. Just a little inconvience.

Here it goes now shop is saying they dont think it happened there but they will pay half of the cost of line-x coating. Which would be $200. Screw them. I just got under my truck after the the email they sent me. I see now the runner is bent upwards and not level and there is crush damage underneath. I will be going there tomarrow and getting this straightened out or I will be in small claims court.

Use http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/ at your own risk.

No way they jammed the Trimode steps up enough to damage the top without crushing the step structure underneath. All the numb nuts had to do was hit the button and swing them out of harms way. To replace both sides will probably be around $4,000.00+ and I would settle for nothing less than full replacement. If you do not replace them you will probably have trouble with the TirMode steps down the road and it will be too late then. The shop has insurance and this will be covered you just have to MAKE them file the claim.

No way they jammed the Trimode steps up enough to damage the top without crushing the step structure underneath. All the numb nuts had to do was hit the button and swing them out of harms way. To replace both sides will probably be around $4,000.00+ and I would settle for nothing less than full replacement. If you do not replace them you will probably have trouble with the TirMode steps down the road and it will be too late then. The shop has insurance and this will be covered you just have to MAKE them file the claim.

They did damage on underneath here is the pic i didnt see it untill today after that e-mail i got up underneath the truck and saw it the crushed the track. They bent the whole step upwards abit. The passengers side is not level with the truck anymore. It also has a slight hesitation when closing.

That is the front track arm.

6a72fef5d23270cfade6f3e307b6806d.jpg

I will make them file a claim. I have a line on some used steps i would be willing to work with them but they have me so mad right now saying they dont think it is they're fault. But neither of us saw the damage in that pic. He said he didnt think ot was his shop because there was no damage underneath.

Archived