Gorehamj

GM Begins To Move Away From Conventional Gear Shift Levers

post-139450-0-38324800-1499087742_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-3-2017

General Motors is following the industry trend of moving away from conventional gear shift levers in its vehicles. With gear shifts having lost their mechanical link to gear boxes, there is no longer any requirement to have the gear shifter be a handle one pulls or pushes. Furthermore, with paddle shifters now available on almost all types of vehicles, there is no longer a need to engage gears using the gear shift while underway (say to downshift while towing).

One example of the new trend for GM is the 2018 GMC Terrain. The Terrain will use a series of buttons instead of a gear shift. Interestingly, the 2018 Chevy Equinox retains the gear selector we are familiar with.

post-139450-0-03450200-1499088027_thumb.jpeg

The Buick line is also moving in another direction, The 2018 Enclave Avenir will feature a gear-selection device that looks straight out of a BMW.

Push-button transmissions are not new to American cars. Edsel and Packard offered push-button transmissions. These came decades after early automakers had used them on early cars.

Posted (edited)

Drove a Bolt in the parking lot at work. Do NOT like it. If you think its an age thing, its not lol (26). Its the same as the Buick one (Electronic Precision Shift).

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 2

Push-button transmissions are not new to American cars. Edsel and Packard offered push-button transmissions. These came decades after early automakers had used them on early cars.

Let's just call it very slow evolution. I usually jimmy the lever during torque lock, but I know the engineers have that piece figured out. Not having a lever does open up the space though, especially on the console and looks cleaner.

• Like 1

I don't even like my truck or SUV to have shift on the center console, put a big ole lever where god intended it, on the steering column... I don't want little button to press...

• Like 7

Posted (edited)

Not sure yet? I know I can't really drive a vehicle when there is not a column. I am just lost without one.......

Edited by mookdoc6
  • Like 1

Ugh, why?

I never liked the lever.

I had a bizarre cab mount, throttle stuck episode in a 1979 chevy.

most of my cars were rwd, 70s and 80s stuff.

for automatics, loved the floor shift. Even my grandma had a pushbutton chrysler.. the 1960s.

she did not like it, for the same reason truckers need gear shifters.

I am lost without the manual trans.

there is no feel for torque anymore, some numbass is out for magic carpet ride.

the shifters do a lot of tattle taling, even revealing entire driveline condition just by finger tips on the shifter.

• Like 1

Ugh, why?

It's all about the 30 point turns I have to do on regular basis and coffee in one hand backing up....Just can't do it without the Column

• Like 3

There's not too many vehicles now that you can hold a gear longer than just leaving it in drive. Some will let you shift early if you want, there's really no point in that anymore with traction control. So I'm fine with a button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of those things I don't think I would like, along with push button start. But, until I've lived with one for a few weeks it's hard to say. I know I drove a Pontiac back in the day with a HUD and during the test drive I turned it off because it bugged me but once I got used to it I wanted every car after that to have one. I'll just have to wait and see on this one.

• Like 1

This is so stupid... They better not put push to start and push button gear selector in trucks.. So silly

• Like 2

it's only a matter of time.

• Like 1

Sweet, more room for more cup holders! :jester:

• Like 1

Just a quick reminder for those who're opposed to the column shifter...

post-107777-0-14418200-1499170400_thumb.jpg

:rolleyes:

so long

j-ten-ner

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      7-20-2017
      Everyone loves reading about luxury, rear-drive, 200 MPH sedans with stick shifts, and GM's Cadillac division makes the best in the world. The problem is that nobody buys them. ATS compact sports sedan sales are at a level below the Chevy Volt now, and the CTS is barely selling, with sales having dropped below 1,000 per month on average in 2017. The truth is that rear-drive means space compromises and the halo V versions of these outstanding cars can't draw buyers to the 4-cylinder automatics. Another fact is that sedans as a class of cars have jumped the shark, as most shoppers now search for crossovers. Maybe Buick has a better plan to attract premium sedan drivers to the GM fold.

The new 2018 Regal GS has a slightly different formula for GM. One that is more practical for everyday use and still affords its driver more than enough performance for public roads. With 310 hp from the GM's 3.6-liter V6 engine, power is at or above that offered by most mainstream and premium models. Of course, GM names Audi and BMW in its press release comparisons, but let's all hope that this car does not attract only those (very limited) buyers. The real meat of the premium market resides with Lexus and Acura in the premium sedan marketplace. The Buick Regal GS may well pull in some of those (much more numerous) shoppers.

The Regal GS will feature AWD standard. That gets many buyers who believe that real performance means driving the rear wheels on board. Not all, but Caddy's CTS-V is there for the purists. The front-drive platform the Regal uses will have more interior space due to its design. Buick is adding in sporty elements to the Regal GS In what looks to be just the right amounts. those include:
      -New 3.6L V-6 with 310 horsepower and 282 lb-ft of torque featuring direct injection, cylinder deactivation and stop/start technology
      -Standard nine-speed automatic transmission and intelligent all-wheel drive (AWD) with active twin clutch for improved vehicle control, and five-link rear suspension
      -GS-specific, AGR-certified, performance seats that are heated, cooled and massaging with adjustable seat and seat-back bolsters as well as thigh support
      -Second-generation Continuous Damping Control (CDC) capable of 500 adjustments per second and Interactive Drive Control with GS and Sport modes
      -Unique sport front and rear fascias, side skirts and rear spoiler
      -Standard 19-inch wheels
      -Performance brakes with Brembo front calipers
      -Sport-tuned exhaust system
      -Sport flat-bottom steering wheel and metal pedals
      -Available head-up display

Buick's recently impressive quality scores and more modern and appealing styling will start to add back buyers. Cars like the Regal GS may be what the company needs to augment crossovers in the showrooms where shoppers looking for more than Chevy offers go to consider their options. We have not seen any GM media fleet cars for a while. If GM supplies a Regal GS to the GM-trucks' media fleet in the coming year we will provide a full review here at GM-trucks.com.

• By Zane

Zane Merva
      Executive Editor, GM-Trucks.com
      2/2/2017

Every year the "big game" draws in viewers for two reasons...the game and the commercials. This game between the Patriots and Falcons promises to be a stunner. But arn't we all looking forward to seeing the commercials too?

In fact, this year's time slot costs a cool $5-million dollars and what do you know... General Motors is stepping up to the plate. So which brand does GM plan on giving exposure? Professional Grade GMC, right? Struggling Cadillac? No? What? BUICK?!

I think this 2017 Buick Super Bowl Commercial Is bad because:
      It spends more time on celebrity instead of product The ad uses the old and stale "That's a Buick?" line that isn't catchy anymore The products are never even mentioned by name but the celebrities are A super model and a star quarterback? No one could get more creative than that? Where's the rest of the Buick lineup? Only the Cascada and Encore are shown.. the Regal, Enclave, and brand new Envision are never even seen. What do you guys and gals think? Is this a bad commercial or is my sense of humor failing me?

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      11-14-2016
      Buick topped Cadillac, and all other GM divisions in the just-released J.D. Power 2016 U.S. Sales Satisfaction Index (SSI) Study. The study measures how satisfied owners are following the purchase experience. In the study, Buick was found to have the highest score among "mass-market" brands. However, Buick's score of 809 topped Cadillac's 807. Buick tied Mercedes-Benz in the study.

Chevy and GMC also scored very high. In the mass-market segment, GM had three of the four top spots. See more here at the J.D. Power site.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      10-21-2016
      General Motors announced today that its Buick division sales have reached one million units. That is a huge number, but Buick is only selling slowly in the U.S. market. So where are the sales coming from? Every GM-Trucks.com fan knows it is China. We were amazed to discover that GM now sells five times more Buicks in China than in the U.S.

In roughly the same time frame GM sold about 2.3 million cars in the U.S. in total (including all brands). That means that GM's China business is roughly half of its U.S sales now. What is most interesting is that GM is growing its sales by about 23% in china. Here in the U.S. GM (and most brands) have relatively flat sales.

With GM now importing the Envision crossover to the U.S. from China the company's present and future seemed closely tied to its success in that country. Being fans of GM, it a positive thing that the company is now the number two automaker in that market and seems headed for long term success there and in the home market as well.

• By Gorehamj

John Goreham
      9-27-2016
      The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has released the results of its safety testing of the Buick Envision.

The results prove that the Chinese-built Buick is just as tough as any American-built crossover its size. The new Envision scored Good on every crash test. When equipped with its optional forward crash prevention system, it earns the Top Safety Pick Plus designation.

The Envision was the first Chinese-built vehicle tested by the Institute.