GM Begins To Move Away From Conventional Gear Shift Levers

Gorehamj

A rotary knob or a button is pure BS, WHAT THE HELL IS NEXT? A joy stick as a steering wheel? Hell they might as well take that to and give use a xbox game controller.

Its something else that can fail I can see it now, damn my truck wont shift out of drive and stuck in reverse, now its stuck in low, the light on the knob is out so lets guess what GEAR its in, some things need to remain mechanical.

Why does auto manufactures always think this is what we need?

Never had HVAC problems other than the cap coming off the lever ever since the electronic buttons nothing but issues. Pull lever where you wanted it to come out and BINGO! Now I need my nephew to operate it on the computer screen?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that I'm against new technology. The opposite is the case. As long as it makes sense.

Bluetooth makes sense - hands free calling.

Power windows make sense - just a push of a button instead of (in some cars) leaning down and cranking the window.

I don't know about power seats - but seat memory makes sense.

Column shifter makes sense - I don't even have to take the hand of the steering wheel to shift the truck.

Just to name a few.

so long

j-ten-ner

A rotary knob or a button is pure BS, WHAT THE HELL IS NEXT? A joy stick as a steering wheel? Hell they might as well take that to and give use a xbox game controller.

Its something else that can fail I can see it now, damn my truck wont shift out of drive and stuck in reverse, now its stuck in low, the light on the knob is out so lets guess what GEAR its in, some things need to remain mechanical.

Infiniti is already plotting to take away the mechanical link between the steering wheel and the steering rack with a system called Direct Adaptive Steering;

There's no more control of gear selection these days between a handle, button or dial. I had Plymouth with buttons, no big deal. I rather have a dial in the console, but ill adapt.

Many transmissions are electronically shifted even if it has a traditional shifter so you're already too late potentially.

There's no more control of gear selection these days between a handle, button or dial. I had Plymouth with buttons, no big deal. I rather have a dial in the console, but ill adapt.

People nowadays tend to adapt to anything.

No offense, but this attitude leads to that there's no demand anymore to regulate the market.

Manufactures are free to shove down our throat whatever they want.

so long

j-ten-ner

People nowadays tend to adapt to anything.

No offense, but this attitude leads to that there's no demand anymore to regulate the market.

Manufactures are free to shove down our throat whatever they want.

so long

j-ten-ner

Ya I know progress is a bitch. As long as I have paddle shift, I don't care what kind of shifter I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On GM's you can pop the cover off of the door handle w/ the key that is part of the fob.... You can start it w/ a dead battery by putting the fob in a slot located in the console....

I agree that there should be a spot to put the key to start it, just like there is a still a key slot in the driver door.

i have a 2014 Volvo S60 that does the same. A key is part of the fob and you can stick the fob the the dash.

Ya I know progress is a bitch. As long as I have paddle shift, I don't care what kind of shifter I have.

Well, I guess it depends on what you or I see as a progress.

A dial shifter is in my book no progress over the column shifter in a pickup truck.

Nor are paddle shifters... ;)

so long

j-ten-ner

Edit:

Next thing you know is that we have to shift our trucks via voice command.

God help me with my heavy German accent... :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure that these column shifters are NOT mechanical. They are electronic just like the dial shifters, just a different delivery system.

Does anyone know for sure??

I'm still griping about no manual transmission available in full size GM trucks. Bought a 2016 Silverado WT auto - never even considered RAM because of the rotary dial shifter.

I'm old fashioned, give me this all day everyday.

017eb8869aa5be1445bf4e8bf855c195.jpg

Unless the console shifter is a standard shift, it can go. I can use the extra space. The column shifter is made well, ugly, and dated but doesn’t bother me cause it's out of the way.

What's ugly is when someone can't run their new doohickey shifter and gets run over. Maybe manufacturers are just trying to ensure their lawyers don't go out of work.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This is a fun thread. Back in the late 60's through the mid 70's when I was an Apprentice Mechanic, I drove all different kinds of cars. One of our good Customers owned a '61 Chrysler, and the dashboard and interior looked just like this:

be89f8ccf34bd07a1187140f54b45a21.jpg

Notice the push-button shift. And notice also no turn signal stalk; the turn signal was just under the transmission selector. You flipped the lever for whichever directional indicators you wanted, and it had a solenoid to return it to center.

I'm getting a real chuckle, because the transmission was shifted pseudo-mechanically via solenoids (and they weren't perfect), but now we have the opposite case: The transmissions are shifted electronically via a Transmission Control Unit, and now we have a pseudo-mechanical lever for a gear selector. :thumbs:

What's that old saying - "There's nothing new under the sun..."

How many of you that are bashing the rotary knob on the Ram's have actually driven one? Father-in-Law has an eco-diesel that I have driven a number of times, it's not nearly as bad of some of you would make it seem.

Archived