GM Begins To Move Away From Conventional Gear Shift Levers

Gorehamj

post-139450-0-38324800-1499087742_thumb.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
7-3-2017

General Motors is following the industry trend of moving away from conventional gear shift levers in its vehicles. With gear shifts having lost their mechanical link to gear boxes, there is no longer any requirement to have the gear shifter be a handle one pulls or pushes. Furthermore, with paddle shifters now available on almost all types of vehicles, there is no longer a need to engage gears using the gear shift while underway (say to downshift while towing).

One example of the new trend for GM is the 2018 GMC Terrain. The Terrain will use a series of buttons instead of a gear shift. Interestingly, the 2018 Chevy Equinox retains the gear selector we are familiar with.

post-139450-0-03450200-1499088027_thumb.jpeg

The Buick line is also moving in another direction, The 2018 Enclave Avenir will feature a gear-selection device that looks straight out of a BMW.

Push-button transmissions are not new to American cars. Edsel and Packard offered push-button transmissions. These came decades after early automakers had used them on early cars.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Push-button transmissions are not new to American cars. Edsel and Packard offered push-button transmissions. These came decades after early automakers had used them on early cars.

Let's just call it very slow evolution. I usually jimmy the lever during torque lock, but I know the engineers have that piece figured out. Not having a lever does open up the space though, especially on the console and looks cleaner.

I don't even like my truck or SUV to have shift on the center console, put a big ole lever where god intended it, on the steering column... I don't want little button to press...

I never liked the lever.

I had a bizarre cab mount, throttle stuck episode in a 1979 chevy.

most of my cars were rwd, 70s and 80s stuff.

for automatics, loved the floor shift. Even my grandma had a pushbutton chrysler.. the 1960s.

she did not like it, for the same reason truckers need gear shifters.

I am lost without the manual trans.

there is no feel for torque anymore, some numbass is out for magic carpet ride.

the shifters do a lot of tattle taling, even revealing entire driveline condition just by finger tips on the shifter.

Ugh, why?

It's all about the 30 point turns I have to do on regular basis and coffee in one hand backing up....Just can't do it without the Column

There's not too many vehicles now that you can hold a gear longer than just leaving it in drive. Some will let you shift early if you want, there's really no point in that anymore with traction control. So I'm fine with a button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of those things I don't think I would like, along with push button start. But, until I've lived with one for a few weeks it's hard to say. I know I drove a Pontiac back in the day with a HUD and during the test drive I turned it off because it bugged me but once I got used to it I wanted every car after that to have one. I'll just have to wait and see on this one.

Archived