GM Begins To Move Away From Conventional Gear Shift Levers

Gorehamj

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is so stupid... They better not put push to start and push button gear selector in trucks.. So silly

Push to start is something I really like on my 2016 Malibu, it's so nice to just push a button on the door to get in the car, push a button on the dash to start/stop it and never have to handle my keys...

Push to start is something I really like on my 2016 Malibu, it's so nice to just push a button on the door to get in the car, push a button on the dash to start/stop it and never have to handle my keys...

Try having the battery go bad in the key fob in Minnesota in the winter.. Now try starting the car... No where to put the keys to start.. Happened to my buddy and I in his VW push to start.. Guessing GM is similar. Always carry extra batteries:) What a PAIN!

attachicon.gifterrain 18 gear shifter.jpg

John Goreham

Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com

7-3-2017

Push-button transmissions are not new to American cars. Edsel and Packard offered push-button transmissions. These came decades after early automakers had used them on early cars.

My uncles early 60's New Yorker had a push button transmission.

Try having the battery go bad in the key fob in Minnesota in the winter.. Now try starting the car... No where to put the keys to start.. Happened to my buddy and I in his VW push to start.. Guessing GM is similar. Always carry extra batteries:) What a PAIN!

Slight hijack, but I have a similar opinion as Imcrazy. However when a manufacturer goes down that path, having a slot to place a key in case the fob dies should be "pushbutton start 101". VW is whack if you guys didn’t have a slot.

I agree with Gorehamj that a primary reason manufacturers still use gear shifter's is for customer familiarity. With this information technology age, the gear shifter will be the rotary phone in a decade or so.

On GM's you can pop the cover off of the door handle w/ the key that is part of the fob.... You can start it w/ a dead battery by putting the fob in a slot located in the console....

Slight hijack, but I have a similar opinion as Imcrazy. However when a manufacturer goes down that path, having a slot to place a key in case the fob dies should be "pushbutton start 101". VW is whack if you guys didn’t have a slot.

I agree with Gorehamj that a primary reason manufacturers still use gear shifter's is for customer familiarity. With this information technology age, the gear shifter will be the rotary phone in a decade or so.

I agree that there should be a spot to put the key to start it, just like there is a still a key slot in the driver door.

Yea, same with power windows, power steering, cruise, seat belts, AC, etc. Right?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could still get a new truck w/o most of those gadgets.

Call me stubborn or old fashioned, it's just that I like the shifter on the column and I don't see no reason to replace it with a dial or push button.

And chances are that it's easier to break off a finger nail on push buttons or dials... :rolleyes:

so long

j-ten-ner

Construction site.

It's dark outside or the sun is low and shining into the mirrors.

You can't see sh*t.

You have to jack-knife a trailer into a tight spot or around all the construction material left by "others" :rolleyes: .

For better visibility you lean out of the window. But now the circumstances require that you have to go back and forward to align the trailer.

What do you guys think is better to reach w/o looking at it or changing your position?

My bet is on the column shifter.

post-107777-0-59350300-1499307146_thumb.jpg

post-107777-0-89492300-1499307450_thumb.jpg

post-107777-0-91137500-1499307159_thumb.jpg

so long

j-ten-ner

I'm old fashioned, give me this all day everyday.

017eb8869aa5be1445bf4e8bf855c195.jpg

thats what I'm saying. i will not be buying any truck that has a push button or twist dial shifter...that is bs

Construction site.

It's dark outside or the sun is low and shining into the mirrors.

You can't see sh*t.

You have to jack-knife a trailer into a tight spot or around all the construction material left by "others" :rolleyes: .

For better visibility you lean out of the window. But now the circumstances require that you have to go back and forward to align the trailer.

What do you guys think is better to reach w/o looking at it or changing your position?

My bet is on the column shifter.

attachicon.gifdodge-ram_1500.jpg

attachicon.gifF-150.jpg

attachicon.gifSilverado-1500.jpg

so long

j-ten-ner

Exactly....I am just blown away with the rotatory knob thing on Fiat's truck. Usually, I have a taco or something in my lap too when doing these nonsense maneuvers and there is no better control and feel other than the COLUMN! No way GM goes away from it on 1/2 ton and larger trucks.

A rotary knob or a button is pure BS, WHAT THE HELL IS NEXT? A joy stick as a steering wheel? Hell they might as well take that to and give use a xbox game controller.

Its something else that can fail I can see it now, damn my truck wont shift out of drive and stuck in reverse, now its stuck in low, the light on the knob is out so lets guess what GEAR its in, some things need to remain mechanical.

Why does auto manufactures always think this is what we need?

Archived