Best leveling coilovers/UCA with stock rims

Yes, I've been meaning to post some i just haven't gotten around to getting some good ones.

No, we did not cut the bump stops but i haven't really gotten it off road yet so i may cut them when hunting season comes around and i really get to try these things out.

I would love to see some pictures. Don't have to be good ones just want to see how the truck sits and the tires. Would you recommend cutting the bump stops out while I have them installed? Any negative effects of this?

Thanks for the help

Pros are increased wheel travel and a more comfortable ride over rough terrain.

Cons are overtraveling at full droop which can damage coilovers and shocks which aren't designed to suffer that abuse regularly, and potentially popping a cv joint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's some confusion that arises every time this issue of cutting the bump stops comes up.

What the Cognito and maybe other UCA instructions say is to cut the service perch from underneath where the UCA attaches to the frame. This is not a bump stop. If you don't cut it out and put in coilovers with a bit longer travel than stock, it is my understanding that your UCA will contact that during travel instead of your coilovers being your limiting factor.

It's the piece shown here underneath the left branch and bolt of the UCA.

c9ba4e4fbc0d6caa2e30a1942613e3a1.jpg

This is after the stock UCA is removed.

7b2a51a6cc88b7971e1a380788bc1182.jpg

And here is the cut job in progress. I cut it out with a reciprocating saw, then smoothed off the edges with a grinder.

9a9b87d1e8361079e289e9189e8ad164.jpg

Edited by corncob
  • Like 1

Great information Corncob. Thanks for the pictures. I am thinking I will probably lean towards cutting it. How hard do you have to be on them for something to go wrong if they are cut?

Thanks for all the help guys!

This guy has been the only one who actually has done it I believe on the forums. But honestly his truck looked like it was only driven in extreme off-roading conditions.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/188300-psa-cognito-ucas-fox-20-coilovers-over-travel/

If you're just going to be driving the backwoods to a hunting lease or something, you'll definitely be just fine cutting the perch.

Edited by ChevyRoofer

I went very slowly on this side (you can see I left the tabs on the left and right) because I was worried about cutting into the actual frame bucket. I ground off most of them after that picture.

The other side, I put the blade right between those tabs and the frame bucket and cut.

If you are concerned about cutting too much off, cut a bit, then put the UCA in there and move it down. You won't have anything rubbing on that spot (it bolts in up above) so you really just need to make sure the arm clears when it goes down. If it doesn't clear or is too close for you, cut/grind a little more. I don't think you probably need to cut the whole width of it out to clear.

This guy has been the only one who actually has done it I believe on the forums. But honestly his truck looked like it was only driven in extreme off-roading conditions.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/188300-psa-cognito-ucas-fox-20-coilovers-over-travel/

If you're just going to be driving the backwoods to a hunting lease or something, you'll definitely be just fine cutting the perch.

That thread is a completely different issue - the UCA contacting the frame tower/bucket/column above the UCA/frame bolt connection on extreme uptravel. It has nothing to do with cutting the service perch.

On the issue in that linked thread, it started with a guy using fox 2.0's. spurshot did confirm that his had the same issue (but maybe not as severe) with his Kings. I haven't seen the problem show up at all on mine, even after traveling off-road. If it does, it's a very minor fix of putting some rubber on the frame column/tower, or cutting a very small bit of it away to fix it - because of this and the very limited reports of it, I haven't worried about it at all. And I haven't seen it manifest itself yet, despite a good amount of use.

I am currently running Boss Coilovers at 2.5" with stock 20s on 295/55R20s. Didn't change out the UCAs. No rubbing. The ride is absolutely night and day from the factory ride.

Boss Coilovers are from Halo Lifts. They have been around for years with products for Ford trucks. They recently brought on their line of GM products. They tested for a year or so on their shop truck. With their ultimate kit they are running 35's on stock 20s. I will provide a link to their website and a link to their ultimate kit. They also have been working Total Chaos UCAs which I will also provide a link too.

Boss Coilovers website: http://www.f150lifts.com/HaloLifts_bymfg_15-0-1.html

Ultimate Kit direct link: http://www.f150lifts.com/2007-UP-GM-SilveradoSierra-1500-Boss-Ultimate-Kit_p_220.html

Total Chaos UCAs link: http://www.f150lifts.com/Total-Chaos-Upper-Control-Arms-for-the-GM-1500-2014-2wd-4wd_p_237.html

I spent a lot of time researching like you I am sure. I saw the above thread and called Alex directly. He explained the entire company background to me and the entire testing process of the Boss Coilovers on their shop truck. I was sold once I spoke with him for nearly an hour. I am glad I made the choice of Boss Coilovers and I don't think you will be disappointed either.

I've been following that thread and just posted asking the rep for some details on fitting the tires. Just saying "it fits 35's" only tells you 25% of what you need to know. It's very misleading, IMO, whether intentional or not. It's as helpful as finding a single YouTube video with a guy running 35's, but no way to tell what tire/offset/trimming he did. And that all matters HUGELY when you're trying to squeeze the biggest tire possible.

Edited by txab

I've been following that thread and just posted asking the rep for some details on fitting the tires. Just saying "it fits 35's" only tells you 25% of what you need to know. It's very misleading, IMO, whether intentional or not. It's as helpful as finding a single YouTube video with a guy running 35's, but no way to tell what tire/offset/trimming he did. And that all matters HUGELY when you're trying to squeeze the biggest tire possible.

I can't speak for running 35's nor can I speak for Alex at what all they did on the shop truck. I have never meet Alex in person or seen their shop truck. I am however, sure that if you call him up he will go into depth with you in regards to their setup. He is a very knowledgeable guy.

I'm sure he would. But I'm not interested in just finding out the knowledge. I'm interested in him clarifying their claims so people don't spend money on their system and then buy 35's with the assumption they will fit, and then be disappointed/mad/remorseful/mislead. Which is why I posted that request for info in that thread.

I'm not implying he's trying to deceive. I just think clarity benefits everyone involved.

Yes, I've been meaning to post some i just haven't gotten around to getting some good ones.

No, we did not cut the bump stops but i haven't really gotten it off road yet so i may cut them when hunting season comes around and i really get to try these things out.

I am hoping to install and get tires next week. Can you text me some pictures of your truck with 275/65/20 please? I will dm you my number