Torque converter shudder continues

2017 Sierra 6.2 8 speed max tow. 3500 miles. Still has shudder even though converter replaced and new type fluid installed. Has anyone else have the continuing problem or has it been corrected? Shifting on mine is good but the shutter is bad especially when towing.

I'm sure they didn't follow the flush procedure. I've never had one continue to shudder after I've followed the bulletin. It's supposed to be flushed out three times prior to any new parts being installed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for the info but all service bulletins have been completed. New part # converter replaced and flushed 3 times and the new type atf installed. Just seeing if any one else had continuing problems after all completed. I'm on top,of this like a tic on a dog. I found where the converter part # has changed from 24279497( bulletin part#) to 24280633( which is what I had installed) to a new number 24285996. If anyone knows if just a number change or maybe a newer part in the system. Dealer has blank stares when I start asking.

#16-NA-175

And you know for sure that the lines and cooler were flushed 3 times? As in you physically watched? This is a part of the bulletin that a lot of technicians skip. This is why so many come back. The clutch material that is coming off of the new clutches in the trans is getting stuck in the converter and causing an imbalance, if you don't get the stuff out of the lines and cooler, it just goes righty back into the new stuff that was installed. The clutch material isn't some big obvious piece, it's almost like black smeary grease inside the trans when it's apart.

Did not watch him complete but have a good relation with the tech. Even give him a 20 buck tip. I did that job for years and worked as a s/m and factory rep. Bitch of a job and I have a lot of respect for techs since I was one a 100 years ago Thanks for your insight and will take it back again with a few more thoughts.

• 1 month later...

So today I am driving my 5.3 w/ 8 speed into the dealer for the TCM reprogramming for the harsh downshift and I notice seemingly random shutter under acceleration. Did not mention it to the dealer, but after the post reprogramming test drive, the tech came and asked if I had noticed the shudder. I said yes it had just started, and he said the torque converter was going bad and the transmission needed to be flushed and refilled. Oh boy..here we go again. Not good for only 20k miles.

I have the shutter under 1500 RPM ....common documented issue with the 8-speed. They did a flush on mine a few weeks ago and it's been perfect, surprisingly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I believe I need to have this done. I have the 8 speed and it shudders around 1500-1600 RPM's.

My 2015 8spd had the TC swapped at new, no complaints at all about the 8L90e in my case, and i was skeptical in the first place. The 6L80e in my recently acquired 2014 on the other hand leaves much to be desired, not to hijack a thread but did the 6L80e have TC issues to by chance?

Mine is a 2015 and I had the shudder from new, double flushed mine and installed new TC around 10,000 miles. To this day its been good, 42,000 + miles but I made them replace the GM Dexron HP with AMSOIL ATF at 15,000 miles. I don't trust GM fluids, the cut corners by using low bid suppliers.

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2017 at 9:40 AM, Bigmac said:

Thanks for the info but all service bulletins have been completed. New part # converter replaced and flushed 3 times and the new type atf installed. Just seeing if any one else had continuing problems after all completed. I'm on top,of this like a tic on a dog. I found where the converter part # has changed from 24279497( bulletin part#) to 24280633( which is what I had installed) to a new number 24285996. If anyone knows if just a number change or maybe a newer part in the system. Dealer has blank stares when I start asking.

Looking at my paperwork for the torque converter replacement I had done back in July, it has PN as 24286975