2017 3500 HD DPF issues

ECS

Question

I own a 2017 3500 HD C&C with a Duramax. Truck weighs out at 13,000 pounds. At 1806 miles . The DPF stopped up and driving would not allow it to Regen. The truck went from 14 miles per gallon to 10 miles per gallon Highway driving right before the DPF stopped up.Took it to the dealer and they force 2 regen's. Still would not clear the codes or reduced power mode. They called Chevy factory and they suggested changing the indirect injector. That did not fix it so they changed the DPF. Got the truck back after a waiting for over a week. Truck ran great and fuel mileage came up to 14 miles per gallon highway. The truck now has 3706 miles on it the fuel mileage drops again to 9 miles per gallon and shortly after that the DPF must drive warning came on so we pull the truck out on the interstate and lock the cruise at 75 mph and it took 24 miles for the DPF to reset. The mileage is still at 9 miles per gallon and the motor is running a little rough. the driving habits of this truck is a combo of in town and highway. I guess the reason for this post is to find out if more are having this same issue and it there is a known cure for the DPF getting so restricted. I have a 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016, all 3500 HD trucks and none of them are having this issue.

9 answers to this question

I have a 2012 HD 3500, 2013 Express 3500 Cutaway reduced power, 2015 HD 3500, 2016 HD 3500 all with the Duramax and driving the same conditions and these are not having this problem. It is only on the redesigned 2017 motor. I agree the real way is with a DPF delete but as a business if caught deleting the fines are3 very heavy. And they are trying to force these trucks to have go through emissions testing. At the least I would have to gut the DPF's core and straight pipe the center of the DPF's can so it looks like it is there. Probably screwed and will have to dispose of his piece of emissions junk.

You'll need a good 30-50 miles of steady highway driving for a good satisfactory regen to complete. Also- do you do a lot of idling with these things? If so, that plugs the DPFs up big time on all the engines, Duramax, Cummins, & Power Stroke. The DPF & DEF systems are the weak link on modern day diesels now. it sucks. I have a 2012 Duramax with 82,000 miles that regens every 160 miles because this truck saw a ton of idling up in the oil fields of Colorado, Wyoming, Oklahoma, & South Dakota. The junk is caked into the DPF and the only way for me to get it cleaned is to have it removed and acid cleaned somewhere for $1600 or buy a new DPF for $3000+

Exact same issue my dad had on his 2009. Only solution to the problem was a tune and DPF delete. MA started cracking down on diesel trucks (state is run by moonbat leftists, so that's par for the course), so years later he was forced to re-install and de-tune the truck in order to get a valid inspection sticker! He sold the truck, and that was that.

People need to stop giving GM money, until they straighten out their quality control! Where is the incentive for them to fix these issues if there's a long line of suckers willing to shell out $70-large for a new truck?

I'd make them buy it back, take the money and buy a Ram. Seriously!

yeah but some states require the emissions testing to plug into OBD and verify the stuff is working and communicating properly.

Not what I'm seeing around here ...

It is around here. When I talked to my friend who runs a nice auto repair shop that caters to truck owners, (but does a great job on cars too) He's not only sent a few plugged DPFs from customers trucks off to be acid cleaned, but several of his tow trucks which run cummins engines in em also had the DPFs needing to be sent off to be cleaned. Thus far the biggest issue seems to be the excessive idling (tow trucks get a lot of idle time) that is plugging these things up without them being able to get out and do normal regens. When I told him my truck was used up in the oil fields he just nodded his head and said he's got a few customers like that as well. It sucks. Your only choices are in that situation is to get one of the programmers that you can monitor the DPF levels and induce a service regen since most oil fields are out in the middle of nowhere and not very likely to be able to drive 45+ MPH for 30+ miles uninterrupted.

Had my problems with the 2015 but in the end GM and the servicing dealer fixed the problem with many new parts. The 2015 regened at about 500 miles took 45-65 miles or complete.

2017 regens at about 300 and takes about 20-25 miles to complete. Must pour fuel in the pipe as it takes the mileage from over 18 to 12 MPG

Time will tell if GM has made any improvements

Archived