How to tell what tranny I have so I can buy replacement parts?

Hi all, I have a 93 chevy silverado 1500, its a V8 but im not sure if its a 5.0l or a 5.7l.

The transmission is pouring fluid out like crazy. I posted here earlier and gents recommended that I get the front pump seal replaced.

The problem is that I dont know what transmission I have. Is there a way to tell what I have, so I can order the right parts?

The local shops wants $600-700 to drop the transmission and replace the seal. $250 if the transmission is out of the truck.

I wasnt going to do it by myself but I hadnt thought that it would be so expensive. Then I thought Ok, I can pay the $250 but realized that if im already sitting infront of the transmission off the truck, why the hell not do it myself?

So I got to figure out what parts goes to what.

Ive also read that if you replace the seal, you should replace the bushing, is this true? Is replacing the bushing something a front yard no skills mechanic can take care of?

Thanks!

Crawl under your truck and match the trans pan to one of these....

0008.jpg

or look at the RPO codes on the glove box door,not sure what the codes are for transmissions though. Most likely you have a 4L60E.

Archived