Sierra Denali Swing Step

I just traded my 15 Denali for a 17 Ultimate with the Swing step.

after a few days of driving it I realize that I really don't like how far the step swings out.

Does anyone know if this is adjustable? I'd like it to swing out maybe an inch less so it would be more like fixed running boards on my previous truck.

I did not have the TriMode steps on my 16 Denali but they came on this 17 Ultimate. I have found the speed to be adequate they pop right out when the door is opened actually amazingly fast maybe the 17's are a bit quicker? I do not know if they can be adjusted and I do not want to adjust mine but I do have a couple of observations.

1. The step does not quite seem to be low enough to be easily use able. The trucks that I have seen with the AMP steps, the step swings down a few inches making it a bit more practical.

2. The silly things make a loud thump/bump noise when they fold in.

3. They appear to hang slightly below the trucks frame and look like they could be easily damaged by a careless vehicle lift operator when having tires installed etc..

Other than that I think they are totally awesome...

Jerryac take those factory TriMode steps off and buy the aftermarket AMP Research steps. I think the OffShore guys wants them! OffShore I was told by my dealership that the factory TriMode steps cannot be added on later because it is just not practical. Apparently it involves major electronic control module changeouts / wiring plus reprogramming of the BCM etc. I am sure that a very determined individual might figure out a way to make it work but it might not be bug free when you got finished LOL

Jerryac take those factory TriMode steps off and buy the aftermarket AMP Research steps. I think the OffShore guys wants them! OffShore I was told by my dealership that the factory TriMode steps cannot be added on later because it is just not practical. Apparently it involves major electronic control module changeouts / wiring plus reprogramming of the BCM etc. I am sure that a very determined individual might figure out a way to make it work but it might not be bug free when you got finished LOL

That is exactly what I did yesterday on my new Denali..

go ask the dealer if the steps can be adjusted, controlled via all done via the BCM, there may be an adjustment for closer/further outwards when the door is open.

Personally I love them, the only thing I can comment on is when they are "door open" - out mode, there is a little free play but now I have gotten used to it, but new people sometimes freak a little when they step on them and it moves a little bit.

• 1 month later...

I have noticed a few times now that the step will NOT extend when the door is opened on the drivers side plus several times where it will NOT retract until I drive off and the failsafe forces it closed. I guess there is a door indicator switch or something that has already gone bad. Should be able to get fixed up under warranty but just makes you wonder how reliable the system is going to be down the road. Maybe Jeb1966 has the right idea to just trade them for some AMP steps. Jeb1966 do the AMP steps utilize the factory wiring?