Diagnose Engine Noise

Howdy guys. I love my truck. I've worked on it to keep it in the best shape I can but engine work is outside of my realm of expertise.

It developed this noise a few months ago. Seems like after my last oil change. I have kind of ignored it hoping it will go away but it's there.

I ran some fuel injector cleaner through a tank and put about half a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil and drove about 50 miles so far but it hasn't changed.

Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions? I bought this truck to last and I need it to get to at least 200,000!

2007 NNBS Silverado with AFM and ~126,000 miles.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure what noise you are referring to, but I do hear lifter tick. Its hard to determine what noise is what from a video.

If it's the lifter tick you are referencing, then its probably the AFM lifters crapping out.

My 07 avalanche developed a similar noise but it ended up being the power steering pump. I suspected lifters at first but noticed the sound varied with my steering input.

If it is lifters, try some sea foam for the next few oil changes. That may quiet it down. And a dumb but honest question, have you checked to make sure the oil is at the full mark? Ive had on other cars the noise increase if it's not filled up all the way.

Fuel injector sometimes makes that noise. Mix some seafoam, B12 or Techron in it and also use top tier gas (Exxon, Shell...) and it will sound normal again. But I think the normal for the 5.3 is to tick a little. That's not lifter noise. Lifter noise is louder and is undeniable. That is fuel injectors most likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you could remove the valve covers and rockers and spray B12 down the pushrods to help clean out the lifters...would rule that out. No need for new gaskets as they are reusable.

How hard of a job is that? If I don't have MMO in my gas, I get the same noise. 4oz per 10 gallons of top tier makes it quiet so my possible issue is probably diff but wonder how big of a job that is to do. B12 is good stuff! Much cheaper than seafoam

How hard of a job is that? If I don't have MMO in my gas, I get the same noise. 4oz per 10 gallons of top tier makes it quiet so my possible issue is probably diff but wonder how big of a job that is to do. B12 is good stuff! Much cheaper than seafoam

check this out...its real easy

if you do spray B12 down there, make sure to change the oil right after....you don't want that stuff floating around in the crankcase. Before I swapped heads and did new cam/lifters, I had a slight tick...MMO in the crankcase would get rid of it. Might be worth a try for you

Archived