Gearing upgrade with 35s?

Hello guys, new to this forum.

I've been lurking reading different builds and mods all of you have been doing over the years, neat stuff.

I just picked up a 17 Sierra All terrain X

I wanted to put on a 6 inch BDS Lift with Coil overs.

My question to all of you is this, Do I need to upgrade my Gears? (3.08's)

The truck will be mainly used for Daily commute (5 miles) and long trips to go camping etc, and off course OFFROADING.

I spoke to a few shops, one told me today that I need upgrade the gearing if I do 35's because it will kill the Tranny and the truck will just be way to slow.

And I'll be honest, I dont really care if this truck is slow, its a truck.. thats why I got the 5.3L... I have other fast toys.

But I do NOT want to screw the trans and more importantly, I dont want it to be completely weak.

And Im sure I'll kill the power train warranty if I do the gears, I don't mind losing suspension warranty with the Lift because BDS has its own warranty and its great.

Thoughts?

Your trans won't implode if you don't do gears, but with that being said...they help out and are well worth the money. Totally different truck, but regardless, I have an 01 Silverado 5.3 that I ran multiple setups lift wise and different 33s/35s before I regeared(3.73s stock). I honestly didn't know what I was missing until I did it. Huge difference. I'm now on 37s and run 4.88s. If you tow with it, off-road, or even just are a stop light warrior. I'd recommend them. If you don't do it, you'll be fine. Plenty of people out there that run bigger setups and never touch the gears and have no issues. 4wd? Don't forgot to do the fronts when/if you do them in order to retain 4wd. Also will need a tune/programmer to compensate for the tires/gears. Lots to think about. But if you do them, you won't be dissatisfied with your choice. 6 speed or 8 speed? I'd go 4.10s I'm guessing.

Hell dealers put 35s on trucks on the lot without doing gears in them. It's all up to you. Put the tires on and see how you like it. The gears are only goin to help.

Your trans won't implode if you don't do gears, but with that being said...they help out and are well worth the money. Totally different truck, but regardless, I have an 01 Silverado 5.3 that I ran multiple setups lift wise and different 33s/35s before I regeared(3.73s stock). I honestly didn't know what I was missing until I did it. Huge difference. I'm now on 37s and run 4.88s. If you tow with it, off-road, or even just are a stop light warrior. I'd recommend them. If you don't do it, you'll be fine. Plenty of people out there that run bigger setups and never touch the gears and have no issues. 4wd? Don't forgot to do the fronts when/if you do them in order to retain 4wd. Also will need a tune/programmer to compensate for the tires/gears. Lots to think about. But if you do them, you won't be dissatisfied with your choice. 6 speed or 8 speed? I'd go 4.10s I'm guessing.

Hell dealers put 35s on trucks on the lot without doing gears in them. It's all up to you. Put the tires on and see how you like it. The gears are only goin to help.

Great input!

Is there a way to calibrate the gears w/out dealers knowing? Don't want to void the power train...... like something I can plug into obd, and pull when I get to the dealer.

I'd imagine you could just get a programmer/tuner or whatever you wanna call it and use it for the gear ratio. I'm not sure if there's one that's specifically for gears or not though honestly. I've always just went the route of a custom tune and so have any of my buddies. May have to search a bit for that one as I'm not up to par with the handhelds anymore

As someone who is currently installing a BDS lift on their truck (its on stands in the driveway currently) I am going to recommend you go with another lift. I thought they were supposed to be an awesome lift and built heavy for "offroading" but so far I've had nothing but issues installing it.

First off, they say its a 6" lift. Well, the crossmembers only drop the control arms 4.75", which means it would be the equivalent of a stock truck with a 1.25" level.

Secondly, I had to ream out the factory control arm bolt holes in order to get the bolts into the crossmembers. Piss poor manufacturing on their part honestly

Third, there is a lot of crap you have to trim and cut off, its a bit ridiculous honestly

That's all the issues Ive ran into so far, we will see what today holds in store for me. It really irritates me its not a full 6" drop lift, thats the whole reason I got rid of the Rough Country lift on my old 02 Silverado (claimed 6" but really just a 4" with 2" level). Hopefully I don't sound like Im complaining too much, just wanted to let you know what Ive ran into so far and my experiences, hopefully steer you in a better direction.

I personally have had good luck with McGaughy's lifts (that's what replaced the RCX lift on my old 02). When they claim 7" of lift, they really mean it. Differential drop was a full 7" as well as the crossmembers. Plus, for the same cost as the BDS lift, you get support braces that go between your drop crossmembers, kicker braces behind the rear crossmember for additional support, and the CV axle spacers are billet aluminum not composite like most manufacturers.

As regarding the gearing, drive the truck and see how it feels. I don't plan to regear but that may change. On my 02 I did the same as the poster above, went with 4.88 gears on 37's and that thing was pretty quick for what it was

And for the handheld programmer, I know my DiabloSport inTune i2 will program for a different than stock gearing

As someone who is currently installing a BDS lift on their truck (its on stands in the driveway currently) I am going to recommend you go with another lift. I thought they were supposed to be an awesome lift and built heavy for "offroading" but so far I've had nothing but issues installing it.

First off, they say its a 6" lift. Well, the crossmembers only drop the control arms 4.75", which means it would be the equivalent of a stock truck with a 1.25" level.

Secondly, I had to ream out the factory control arm bolt holes in order to get the bolts into the crossmembers. Piss poor manufacturing on their part honestly

Third, there is a lot of crap you have to trim and cut off, its a bit ridiculous honestly

That's all the issues Ive ran into so far, we will see what today holds in store for me. It really irritates me its not a full 6" drop lift, thats the whole reason I got rid of the Rough Country lift on my old 02 Silverado (claimed 6" but really just a 4" with 2" level). Hopefully I don't sound like Im complaining too much, just wanted to let you know what Ive ran into so far and my experiences, hopefully steer you in a better direction.

I personally have had good luck with McGaughy's lifts (that's what replaced the RCX lift on my old 02). When they claim 7" of lift, they really mean it. Differential drop was a full 7" as well as the crossmembers. Plus, for the same cost as the BDS lift, you get support braces that go between your drop crossmembers, kicker braces behind the rear crossmember for additional support, and the CV axle spacers are billet aluminum not composite like most manufacturers.

As regarding the gearing, drive the truck and see how it feels. I don't plan to regear but that may change. On my 02 I did the same as the poster above, went with 4.88 gears on 37's and that thing was pretty quick for what it was

And for the handheld programmer, I know my DiabloSport inTune i2 will program for a different than stock gearing

Interesting, are you going to be finishing your install? Let me know how it turns out.

Interesting, are you going to be finishing your install? Let me know how it turns out.

I have to. I had already hacked up the differential and cut the frame up like they told me to. Apparently the Mcgaughys there is no differential trimming needed, just some frame cutting. The back went a little smoother yesterday and if it sets the way it is now I'll be happy because it looks a lot taller than my 02 with a 6" lift lol

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

if I could blindfold myself and drive with my stock wheels/tires vs my 35" mud terrains I just put on I bet I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

no need for a 6" lift to clear 35" tires either unless your going for looks. a level kit and a 1.5" body lift work fine. zip tie some fender liners and norcal mod your good to go. a lot less cutting and work than installing a 6" lift

if I could blindfold myself and drive with my stock wheels/tires vs my 35" mud terrains I just put on I bet I wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

no need for a 6" lift to clear 35" tires either unless your going for looks. a level kit and a 1.5" body lift work fine. zip tie some fender liners and norcal mod your good to go. a lot less cutting and work than installing a 6" lift

When you say you cannot tell the difference stocks vs lift are you referring to trucks performance?

If so, what gearing/engine/transmission is your truck equipped with?

I have a 6inch BDS but lowered the coilovers 1.5" so I would have a little rake for towing and hauling. My truck has the stock 3.73 gears and 6.2/6 speed and I noticed it felt a little sluggish off the line after the tires went on but I got a Diablew Tune and it honestly feels much quicker than when it was stock. I love my lift I had issues with ride quality but it was due to the horrible Mickey Thompson tires I originally put on. I switched to Toyo RT and ride is awesome. My stabilitrack also kept coming on but it was due to bad alignments. It was very difficult finding a shop that could align a lifted truck. The sensors are extremely sensitive and the alignment needs to be 100% perfect.

I have a 6inch BDS but lowered the coilovers 1.5" so I would have a little rake for towing and hauling. My truck has the stock 3.73 gears and 6.2/6 speed and I noticed it felt a little sluggish off the line after the tires went on but I got a Diablew Tune and it honestly feels much quicker than when it was stock. I love my lift I had issues with ride quality but it was due to the horrible Mickey Thompson tires I originally put on. I switched to Toyo RT and ride is awesome. My stabilitrack also kept coming on but it was due to bad alignments. It was very difficult finding a shop that could align a lifted truck. The sensors are extremely sensitive and the alignment needs to be 100% perfect.

How do you like the BDS rear leaf springs? I'm debating on that vs the 5 inch Block. I know the leaf spring is really good for Extreme off-roading and hauling really heavy, the downside (from what I'm being told) is the ride quality really suffers... that is really important to me, I don't want to completely ruin the ride quality.

Thanks for the reply Payton.

The rear springs are very soft actually. My ride is firmer and I thought the springs were too stiff but I disconnected the shocks and bounced the rear with almost no effort at all. It is actually the Fox shocks that stiffen the ride the most and combined with a 35 inch E rated tire it will not ride like stock. I drove my truck 50 miles with lift installed on the factory tires and ride was amazing didn't feel and road cracks expansion joints or pot holes. After tires went on is when it rode a lot stiffer. I was told the Mickey Thompson were the reason. I drove it a year on the Mickeys and actually hated my truck and was thinking of getting rid of it. Then and after riding in a friends truck with 33" Toyo RT on a leveled truck I bought a set and was amazed how much better it rode. I just got back from a fishing trip to Canada with a full bed of gear and towed about a 4500lb boat and the rear only sagged about an inch and rode great. I wanted the springs because I had a 2000 Silverado with a Rancho lift and rear blocks and hated the axle wrap. I have 0 axle wrap with the BDS springs. I think my truck ride great and others have commented how comfortable the ride is.

The rear springs are very soft actually. My ride is firmer and I thought the springs were too stiff but I disconnected the shocks and bounced the rear with almost no effort at all. It is actually the Fox shocks that stiffen the ride the most and combined with a 35 inch E rated tire it will not ride like stock. I drove my truck 50 miles with lift installed on the factory tires and ride was amazing didn't feel and road cracks expansion joints or pot holes. After tires went on is when it rode a lot stiffer. I was told the Mickey Thompson were the reason. I drove it a year on the Mickeys and actually hated my truck and was thinking of getting rid of it. Then and after riding in a friends truck with 33" Toyo RT on a leveled truck I bought a set and was amazed how much better it rode. I just got back from a fishing trip to Canada with a full bed of gear and towed about a 4500lb boat and the rear only sagged about an inch and rode great. I wanted the springs because I had a 2000 Silverado with a Rancho lift and rear blocks and hated the axle wrap. I have 0 axle wrap with the BDS springs. I think my truck ride great and others have commented how comfortable the ride is.

Crazy what a tire can do... Great feedback.

This is my last step before I pull the trigger.

I'm thinking I will do the 5 inch block, and if I don't like it or want more ... I was thinking of going with a Deaver rear spring.

When you say you cannot tell the difference stocks vs lift are you referring to trucks performance?

If so, what gearing/engine/transmission is your truck equipped with?

yep the performance. however I don't race my truck. mines always been a slug but I noticed no change going to a tire/wheel setup that weighs 30# more per wheel

5.3 with 3.08 and the shitty 6 speed

Archived