Tire question - regarding weight

Researching new tires and was curious. My '15 has the Goodyears 275/55/20 SRA stock. They weigh in at 39lbs (direct from Goodyear). I've been looking hard at the Toyo AT2, and in the same size, its a 10lb/corner increase. I'd like a 285 tire, but thats a 20lb/corner increase over stock!

Question is, how will that translate in how the truck drives?

Researching new tires and was curious. My '15 has the Goodyears 275/55/20 SRA stock. They weigh in at 39lbs (direct from Goodyear). I've been looking hard at the Toyo AT2, and in the same size, its a 10lb/corner increase. I'd like a 285 tire, but thats a 20lb/corner increase over stock!

Put 600-700 pounds of weight in your bed and that's what it will feel like adding 20 pounds per corner in regards to acceleration and braking.

My truck came with 22s (285/45/22) which are 90 pounds a corner so when I changed to very aggressive knobby all terrain tires at 80 pounds a corner (285/70/17) I never noticed a difference other than a slight mileage drop.

But I drove a loaner Silverado with tiny little 255/70/17s with the same engine and transmission and the thing felt like a rocket ship both in acceleration and handling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Look on tiresize.com it has the breakdown of each tires height, width, and weight. You'll see a lot of variation in the same size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went from the GY SR-A (39#) to the Bridgestone Alenza Plus (45#) to my current Firestone Destination AT (44#). Very close proximity in tire weight but pretty disparate rolling resistance.

No change in mpg, braking, acceleration. Slight variable in noise & handling. Not much though.

Not what you asked, I understand....

I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I've got 17" Sierra SLE wheels (26lbs from what I've read) with Bridgestone 265/70/17s. (42lbs)

Upgrading to aftermarket 20s (37lbs) with LT285/55/20 Toyo ATII's (59lb) would be an additional 112lbs of unsprung weight.

I may just go Duratrac P275/60/20's, even so, an additional 72lbs of tire/rim weight.

How much driving difference is everyone noticing when changing wheels and tires?

I was told by my dealership that if you get a flat, the rim, and fully inflated tire (I have 275/55R20 Continentals) weigh just under 200lbs each. Seems like a lot and somewhat off topic but just passing it on. If that's true, add in the spare and that's almost 1,000 lbs, pushing 20% of my total vehicle weight, empty (app. 5500 lbs).

does that sound accurate? You'd have to be a lot stronger than me to fix a flat by yourself if so......

I changed out the factory Goodyear street tires on my 4wd Denali at about 2,000 miles. I went to the slightly larger 275/60-20 size. I like to drive off road so I wanted a "LT" tire. The only one I could find in that size was the KO2. 14 pounds heavier per tire, but really not that big of a change in drivability. I've lost about 1 mpg...

I was told by my dealership that if you get a flat, the rim, and fully inflated tire (I have 275/55R20 Continentals) weigh just under 200lbs each. Seems like a lot and somewhat off topic but just passing it on. If that's true, add in the spare and that's almost 1,000 lbs, pushing 20% of my total vehicle weight, empty (app. 5500 lbs).

does that sound accurate? You'd have to be a lot stronger than me to fix a flat by yourself if so......

LOL 200lbs a tire and wheel????

LOL 200lbs a tire and wheel????

i will assume he meant 50ish per wheel. 50 x 4......200......i said it sounded like a lot. was just asking the question.....luckily never had to change one :)

i will assume he meant 50ish per wheel. 50 x 4......200......i said it sounded like a lot. was just asking the question.....luckily never had to change one :)

That sounds much closer than the 200 per corner. I have never actually weighed a tire and rim, but I would have guessed at 40 pounds per corner for stock tires and rims.

My stock 17" and 265/70/17 tires are around 60#. My current 20" with 275/60/20 are like 82#. And my other set which is 17's with 295/70/17 nitto g2 are like 95#. Planning to upgrade to 295/55/20 toyo at2 next week.

There is a difference in stock to larger tires but you get use to it. The main thing is you will lose mpg.

My stock 17" and 265/70/17 tires are around 60#. My current 20" with 275/60/20 are like 82#. And my other set which is 17's with 295/70/17 nitto g2 are like 95#. Planning to upgrade to 295/55/20 toyo at2 next week.

There is a difference in stock to larger tires but you get use to it. The main thing is you will lose mpg.

How is the power difference between the 265/70/17 vs 275/60/20? I've heard everything from "I don't notice it" to "it feels like a V6"

Archived