Help picking out 90's truck

My folks are looking to pull a horse trailer with 2 horses in it, so it's got to be something heavy duty. They live in the foothills of California so it's got to pull hills pretty good without blowing any motors, tranny's, or rear ends. They are looking to spend 10k at a used dealership for it. Looking for reliability most of all, but just a good all around truck. I don't know about motor choices needed to pull horses or if it has to be a 2500 or which years are good or not so that's where I need you guys. I'm hoping for them to get a ford or chevy. Heard chevy has best drivetrain. Ram cummins is to expensive.

They live in the foothills of California so it's got to pull hills pretty good without blowing any motors, tranny's, or rear ends.

Lack of basic maintenance is the biggest cause of those issues. If you can't properly appraise a used vehicle spend $100 or so and take it to a trusted mechanic.

They are looking to spend 10k at a used dealership for it.

If it's a BHPH lot they are guaranteed to get screwed, check CG first.

Most importantly what is the GVWR of the trailer and is the trailer equipped with on board braking of some sort?

Archived