Tailer Chains and Small Hooks

I had to rent a utility trailer from Uhaul today. When went to hook it up the hooks for the safety chains would not work with the factory hitch. They were to narrow to fit around the large gap GM provides in fact my Campers large hooks barley fit. Luckily we were able to rig something up with extra chains pulled through holes and looped back on themselves to the trailer.

I'm sure they had to put this type of hitch on the truck to meet its towing capacity but this and the sleeve is kinda of PIA...

This is just an FYI for anyone planning to tow especially a small trailer. I plan to get some large quick links that will fit through the holes to allow smaller hooks to be used.

I had to rent a utility trailer from Uhaul today. When went to hook it up the hooks for the safety chains would not work with the factory hitch. They were to narrow to fit around the large gap GM provides in fact my Campers large hooks barley fit. Luckily we were able to rig something up with extra chains pulled through holes and looped back on themselves to the trailer.

I'm sure they had to put this type of hitch on the truck to meet its towing capacity but this and the sleeve is kinda of PIA...

This is just an FYI for anyone planning to tow especially a small trailer. I plan to get some large quick links that will fit through the holes to allow smaller hooks to be used.

Most guys go to the hardware store and get some bolt quick links, makes for quick chain hook up.

Yep had problems hooking up the tow chains for my old 24 foot TT with a weight distributing hitch. No problem with my 1500, but we had to buy a special locking hook. I was scratching my head wondering whose designed this? My hubby didn't believe me that it wasn't going to work, so he marched over in a huff and suddenly there were some choice words coming from his mouth. We had to leave our storage place and go to a hardware store to buy a hook to get us on the road. I was not a happy camper about it. Now that we have a 5th wheel no problems. But I do keep that locking hook in my toolbox.

I ran into the same problem with a horse trailer we just purchased. Went to a local trailer service shop and purchased larger grade 70 locking hooks. Swapped out the smaller hooks and I thought all would be OK. Not quite true. The new hooks work fine but due to their large size there wasn't room to attach the break-away cable for the emergency trailer brakes.

This is the first truck I've seen with the 2.5" receiver and the over-sized safety chain hook ups.

Good suggestion!

That's the 1st time I've seen a shackle that uses a bolt, nut & cotter pin. I don't have a problem w/ my 2 trailers & their hooks, but I should look for those shackles in case I have to tow a trailer w/ smaller hooks.

Thanks for the post.

Good suggestion!

That's the 1st time I've seen a shackle that uses a bolt, nut & cotter pin. I don't have a problem w/ my 2 trailers & their hooks, but I should look for those shackles in case I have to tow a trailer w/ smaller hooks.

Thanks for the post.

Here's another place with different shackles.

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Rigging-Supplies-Hardware/Anchor-Bow-Chain-and-D-Shackles

I don't think shackles would have worked in my particular situation.Ones large enough to fit the hitch the hooks would have still been to narrow to fit on them...The gap was maybe an inch or less. I think the easy solution for me is a small length of chain and some quick links. That should cover most situations and not take up much room in my toolbox or under the back seat.