Should I avoid the 14 used Silverado?

So I have been looking hard at a 14 used Silverado. It has 47000 km (30000 miles) on it. Is a GM certified used, and looks to be in excellent shape. Doesn't even look like the bed was used. It's just outside of the bumper to bumper due to time but has the rest of the power train warranty. My research shows there were a fair bit of problems (recalls) with the 14s. It doesn't seem to have the Chevy shake but I will be doing the paint stick behind the accelerator mod. I think the bugs must have been worked out by now. It doesn't have a lot of miles on it but it has been around the block once or twice.

So avoid or don't worry about it. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just bought a CPO 2014 with 30,000 miles a few months ago. They come with an extra 1 year bumper to bumper if they are CPO. On that note, I am really enjoying my 14. Nothing to complain about after 4000 miles since I bought it.

They sell over 500,000 of these trucks a year, the problems on here represent a very small percentage of these trucks and some Posts are fueled by Trolls. Be diligent in your inspection but if everything checks out you'll have one heck of a truck!

The 2014 Silverados had the nice stacked double headlights, and Certified carries a 1 year/12K miles bumper to bumper, and will have the remainder of 5 years/100K drive train.

In the world of used vehicles, that is a very good warranty. 30K miles is also not much in the useful life of a GM pickup truck, long before you would expect any major repairs. (at least if it was driven by a reasonable/normal person)

The 2014s did have some issues because they were a new model year, but that stuff always happens when they do a big revision.

If the truck is priced fairly and in your budget, I wouldn't be worried personally.

I would because.....I never cared much for the 900's and would easily take a higher mileage 800's series any day.......If I were to sell my 16 with 34,000 miles right now and it would be 2years old soon.....Somebody would be getting ONE HELL OF TRUCK! Understand the risks with all used vehicles and this one will require some attention added because of the Direct injection but you shouldn't have any problems...

Bought my 2014 14 months ago. It had 49k when I bought it and has almost 80k now. I am sure it was used heavily for towing and the previous driver drove the shit out of it. It was a shaker until I replaced the shocks, struts and tires, but now it rides as smooth as a brand new truck. I love my Silverado

Just make sure you give it a good test drive and go from there.

2014 Silverado Z71

Damn we get the shaft in Canada , warranty here is only 3 month, 5000km.

I did take it for a good drive close to 90 km (60 miles) through the city and highway going between 100km and 120kph. No shake. Guy who owned it before took good care of it. Everything sounds good, everything works. As it stands I think everything is in good shape.

Long term I was wondering if most people are happy.

This is the truck

fdf387cc8a01b45e0839e4b0b4b6ffba.png

I have a '14, love it.

The only problem I think most people would have paying for a '14 is that the price may be to high. Just keep in mind while it is in good shape, you should be getting a pretty steep discount vs a new truck.

You should check out the laura GMC pricing as a price guide, just because it seems to be the only dealership that just has clarity on what pricing you can obtain when there is a 15-20% off sale.

Just wouldn't want you to buy a used one for $40k because you think the new price is $50k according to msrp.

You should be able to get a history report if it was brought back repeatedly for issues. Thats the only other thing I would look into. Otherwise, if the price point is right, go for it. I researched for over a year and decided on the 14. Picked mine up three months ago under $30k with 35k miles. Couldn't be happier with it.

If it's an LT I think you're fine, the 14&15 LTZ's had some pretty lousy projector headlights... I had a '14, I now have a '16, except for the apple car play / android auto & HID headlights I have no preference between the two trucks.... My '14 was a GMC Sierra and except for the lousy projector headlights I didn't have any complaints in 2 years and 33k miles....

The headlamps on the LTZ are good, not great. I put in a set of Phillips Crystal Vision Ultra's and they work fine. Perhaps you are confusing the GMC which had the update to their headlamps.

If it's an LT I think you're fine, the 14&15 LTZ's had some pretty lousy projector headlights... I had a '14, I now have a '16, except for the apple car play / android auto & HID headlights I have no preference between the two trucks.... My '14 was a GMC Sierra and except for the lousy projector headlights I didn't have any complaints in 2 years and 33k miles....

Archived