Helper Spring Install

Didn't want to derail the 2500 v 3500 thread.

I've got a '16 2500. Anyone ever installed the factory helper springs? Is it somethig I can do in a driveway or have the dealer add? I've only ever seen them in person once, it was in traffic on a 1500.

I want to level my truck but can't have it squat as it's a tow vehicle.

Thanks

Factory overloads will give a harsh ride when partially loaded (helpers touching, but not quite engaged).

Airbags will porpoise and pogo...they have a purpose, and are not for everyone.

Timbrens are like helper springs, harsh when not really loaded heavy. Sumo springs are another option...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

This is why I wonder what the point of levelling your truck is. The rake of the truck is there for the reason of being able to load it and not have it sit front end high. If you want bigger tires i guess this helps? But they will fit 34" tires stock without a level.

Sorry to rant just doesnt make sense to me. Thanks.

This is why I wonder what the point of levelling your truck is. The rake of the truck is there for the reason of being able to load it and not have it sit front end high. If you want bigger tires i guess this helps? But they will fit 34" tires stock without a level.

Sorry to rant just doesnt make sense to me. Thanks.

I have Timbrens, and I'm not lifted or leveled. I run heavy loads across the state, and it's nice to not have the headlights annoying other drivers.

• 3 weeks later...

Our 5th wheel has 2400lbs of pin weight. All it does is knock the truck level. Never been near the bump stops and still has that nice ride.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

What truck do you have?

• 2 months later...

I have a 2016 2500 also and I am thinking the same thing. How hard could it be to add the 3500 upper overload spring and the stops ?

And before the Weight police start in :D. I fully understand this will not increase my legal payload. But should improve the ride when towing a 5th wheel. The frame already has the bolt holes for the stops. I just need to find all the part numbers.

I have a 2016 2500 also and I am thinking the same thing. How hard could it be to add the 3500 upper overload spring and the stops ?
And before the Weight police start in [emoji3]. I fully understand this will not increase my legal payload. But should improve the ride when towing a 5th wheel. The frame already has the bolt holes for the stops. I just need to find all the part numbers.
They are bolted on? I thought those mounts were welded on? Cool!

My only thought is the only way for it to be cost effective would be for you to find a wrecked truck to rob the parts...otherwise, a set of air bags would probably be cheaper.

i was wanting to do this on my 2018 . asked the dealers and the parts guy said they couldn't get them. really ? surely theres a part number number for these . to be fair the guy looked kinda new and went back twice to check with his supervisor . ill probably call another dealer 50 miles away and find out 

On 7/9/2017 at 10:24 PM, sdeeter19555 said:

Factory overloads will give a harsh ride when partially loaded (helpers touching, but not quite engaged).

Airbags will porpoise and pogo...they have a purpose, and are not for everyone.

Timbrens are like helper springs, harsh when not really loaded heavy. Sumo springs are another option...

Brother did the install of the Super Springs (same mfr as the Sumo Springs) in my home garage. Maybe an hour or so doing the install. Towed his 5er from central Ontario to Yellowstone & back last month.

Archived